Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where Does Stellarium Get These Names

Stub Mandrel

Today, Stellarium started crashing 30 seconds after I loaded it, so I re-installed - at least now I know to uncheck the box that deletes all my settings.

I see many new names have appeared: "The Lost Jewel of Orion" is fair enough, but "Patrick Starfish Cluster" of "Caspar the Friendly Ghost Nebula"?

I know we use some casual names but isn't this getting a bit silly?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess Stellarium has grabbed an updated name file from somewhere. I have noticed that names are getting what I would describe as "silly" now. Seems they are out of the sort of sensible ones and so are turning to more "extreme" names. Bit like telescopes What comes after the E-ELT, they have already used VLT.

Saturn Nebula has always puzzled me a bit.

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Today, Stellarium started crashing 30 seconds after I loaded it, so I re-installed - at least now I know to uncheck the box that deletes all my settings.

I see many new names have appeared: "The Lost Jewel of Orion" is fair enough, but "Patrick Starfish Cluster" of "Caspar the Friendly Ghost Nebula"?

I know we use some casual names but isn't this getting a bit silly?

Good old Patrick from SpongeBob!

latest?cb=20101103231454

44 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What next...

The Squidward Nebula?

The Mr Krabs Nebula?

Lol I agree it’s a bit silly. I’ve young kids though that watch these shows so never know it might encourage others to get engaged. 

'Stella' walked out on me, too! Must be in one of her 'moods.'

I was running the 0.90.0.9959 trunk-version (the solar-system objects with all the new topography and place name on the planets and - even - some asteroids/dwarf planets is nothing shy of spectacular!

Alas! I've downloaded a fresh copy of 16.1, but haven't installed it yet. Neil: The first time I did a re-load, I managed to lose all my settings. I nearly pulled my hair out! :D I never did that again.

Anyone know what going on with the crashes?

Best Wishes, all - it's not just you!

Dave

P.S. - If I find the 'Boaty McBoatface Nebula' - could someone please give me 200mg. of Chlorpromazine (Thorazine®) I.V?

stellarium-756.thumb.png.c3b2728fc4ea68eab015cbe8d5c14ac8.png

Alex -

I don't know if this will help as I already had installed the 0.16.1 64-bit Windows after the crashes. But this is what comes up now as the 'Last run log'

I'm running ZoneAlarm & Kaspersky anti-virus - as I always have.

log.txt

All is running fine now with the new 0.16.1 re-installed.

Dave

5 hours ago, alexwolf said:

Who has crashes of Stellarium: please show log.txt (Start -> Programs -> Stellarium -> Last run log) after crash.

Unfortunately I have reinstalled. It would load normally, but after about 20-30 seconds it gave a message saying it had 'encountered a problem'.

The only thing I did before the problem was use task manager to halt a persistent example of Python.exe, but that may have been from Cura?

Is it possible the problem is caused when it tries to auto update the catalogues?

That would explain why a new install was stable.

P.S. Alex - can I suggest making the install default to KEEP the main configuration file? Very few people want to lose their settings on a reinstall if at all possible.

32 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is it possible the problem is caused when it tries to auto update the catalogues?

Maybe yes, maybe no. I never seen logs after the crash and I cannot say about source of crash.

34 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

P.S. Alex - can I suggest making the install default to KEEP the main configuration file? Very few people want to lose their settings on a reinstall if at all possible.

Sorry, no. I hope users may read the text.

Sorry Alex I know this isnt a bug report thread but since I see you're on it, can I just point out that in the (very excellent) WUT feature, calling up emission nebulae works and calling up reflection nebulae works, but calling just nebulae doesnt seem to. (v16.1)

Cheers

Tom

Neil - I never have to check or un-check any boxes during a reinstall or loading a new version/beta. It comes up already with a default to leave all my settings intact.

When that happened to me that first (hair-pulling) time, I did suggest the same thing as you just did. Now it's always been set on a default to keep my settings. I have no explanation why you're having a different situation over there.

Odd...

Alex - All's still running fine now. Here's the latest log:

log.txt

Good Luck,

Dave

31 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Sorry Alex I know this isnt a bug report thread but since I see you're on it, can I just point out that in the (very excellent) WUT feature, calling up emission nebulae works and calling up reflection nebulae works, but calling just nebulae doesnt seem to. (v16.1)

Sorry, I'm confused. WUT doesn't have separate lists for emission and reflection nebulae - so, are you meant WUT really or other tool in AstroCalc?

Our website (stellarium.org) has been migrated on other hosting yesterday and some settings on new place caused troubles in first half of today. It's possible that Stellarium got wrong answers from stellarium.org and crash when he requested to update of some catalogues.Our website (stellarium.org) has been migrated on other hosting yesterday and some settings on new place caused troubles in first half of today. It's possible that Stellarium got wrong answers from stellarium.org and crash when he requested to update of some catalogues.

For example I didn't see any problems, what may confirm or decline this hypothesis in Dave's logs.

41 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Neil - I never have to check or un-check any boxes during a reinstall or loading a new version/beta. It comes up already with a default to leave all my settings intact.

I had to uncheck 'remove main configuration file' yesterday, but on running again (without completing) it was unchecked. Perhaps the previous setting is being remembered somewhere?

1 hour ago, alexwolf said:

Sorry, no. I hope users may read the text.

That assumes users realise what the configuration files do.

Would it be possible to add a warning 'To keep settings from a previous version of Stellarium do NOT remove the Main Configuration File or Plug In Configuration Files'?

Fantastic program Alex and much appreciated, still wish the drop down menu at top right was opaque as rather than transparent so clicking on a setting to rotate the camera FOV it clicks on an underlying star and alters the focus point to that star.

I did try altering in the configuration settings once in an older version but it didn't work.

Thanks

Dave

Archived