Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California Nebula using H.Beta filters

I started to observe last night initially using the 12" Dob. However, with Perseus rising quite high I wanted to get a view of the California Nebula.

I bought a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70 binos about 18 months with the aim of being able to screw in 1.25" filters into the eyepiece end. I have had some excellent views over this period using UHC and O-III filters.

H.Beta filters can only be used on specific targets so buying two can prove expensive. I already had a Thousand Oaks filter so I decided to buy an extra filter from Sky's the Limit premium range. The owner (Alan) was very helpful and undertook analysis of several filters sending me a number of graphs to choose from. Well last night with Perseus high in the sky I screwed in both filters to try and view the California Neb.

Well the view was very good with the full extent of the Nebula being visible. In fact the best view I have ever had.

• 1 month later...

Well done Victor you won't regret buying them. I note you have both UHC and O-III filters. Screw in the O-III filter - not too tight (one is enough at this stage) and have a view of the Rosette Nebula. You should get a good view of the cluster and the Nebula.

Let us know how you get on.

3 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Well done Victor you won't regret buying them. I note you have both UHC and O-III filters. Screw in the O-III filter - not too tight (one is enough at this stage) and have a view of the Rosette Nebula. You should get a good view of the cluster and the Nebula.

Let us know how you get on.

Well I was lucky enough last night to have that experience:hello2:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for your interesting report.

I have a pair or 1.25" UHC nebula filters, also a pair same size OIII filters, I like know if the 15x70 binocular is a good model for observing nebulae objects, the Helios model have a screw for this filters ?

I had a 15x70 Skymaster Celestron but this binocular have not this thread..

Regards,

Paul

There are a number of objects that is worth trying. The North American Neb, The Veil, Rosette Neb, Helix Neb, M27 Dumbbell Neb, M42 and try and see M43, try and see NGC 2438 in M46, Monkey Nebula and of course this ignores all the wonderful sites using the Binos without filters. In the summer you can explore the delights of Sagittarius - M16, M17 and M20.

I might have missed some but this was off memory.

Archived