Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Good afternoon, 

Having just bought my first telescope (delivery tomorrow) and only the telescope what advice would people suggest for upgrades or perhaps what order would people suggest?

Diagonals then EP's or EP's then diagonals, powerpacks, dew shields, etc? 

This is more a hypothetical question at the moment as I want to get used to the telescope before plowing monies in on gear that I don't really know anything about.  

Thanks

Michael. 

If it’s the celestron SLT 127 then you are going to need a dew shield as the glass front will be a dew magnet bringing your session to an end quickly in these wet winter months.

also, forget using aa batteries, they won’t last long and don’t provide a consistent current in cold conditions, you may find your scope doing strange slews and making strange noises!

- so get a 7 aH powertank and a powerlead to connect it all together. I can see them linked on the slt 127 page on the flo website.

First thing to do is to get the red dot finder attached and aligned with the scope ( it won’t be by default). Setup in daylight and then point the scope at a distant chimney or tree, telegraph pole etc. Get the red dot and the scope pointing at the same thing by adjusting left-right, up-down on the star pointer = now you have one less job for the first dark night :) 

Then, practice looking at objects in the daylight, get used to the focuser and what each eyepiece does (varying magnifications ) BEFORE you try to do it in the dark !

aside, from that just get out when you can at dusk and practice the nexstar alignment procedures. Alignment will be impossible until you get the scope and red dot aligned as mentioned above.

Be aware that you may find the first night out a disappointment, most people hit a few snags the first time out. It gets easier after that...

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 2

If its a Maksutov then probably a dew shield (but you can make one yourself out of paper)

If it were me I'd say only upgrade when you have totally exhausted your existing equipment / or it no longer meets your needs. In my very limited experience, the eyepieces that come with scopes are fine, they're not very good but by the same token they're definitely not going to ruin the experience or hamper it. Same with diagonals. I'd get some mileage out of learning your setup and your existing stuff and then you can decide for yourself further down the line what if anything needs upgrading (hint: everything. everything needs upgrading all the time. Thats the problem!)

But yes, definitely invest 10 mins in getting your finder pointing to the right place, will make life much much easier!

• Like 2

Thanks guys, nice to have people say use what you have rather than buy x, y and z immediately.  

I completely agree with you Alan about the power pack. That'll be the first thing that I get.

The dew shield is pretty essential - otherwise the scope will only work when the air is completely dry - and that doesn't happen a lot in winter. :)