SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Filter wheel won't focus

Taff

Hi' Last night while trying out the filter wheel for the first time with a DSLR camera to the scope i just could not get any focus at all.My scope is a 8'' F5 reflector, do i need to use anything else to get focus.Thanks.Mark

And you'll probably also have to rotate the camera vs wheel to get the flash housing to clear the wheel. With this setup you can't get the camera close enough to the scope.

Try this:

Remove the filter wheel and focus the camera on a star. Note the position of the focuser.

The distance between scope and camera (sensor) is always the same, no matter what you put between, as long as what you put between doesn't have a lens in it.

You will need to remove the adaptor tube between the filter wheel and the camera. The filter wheel has an internal t-thread on the camera side which is used to attach the camera using a T2 to T2 female adaptor ring (the filter wheel might have been supplied with one). The large ring is a locking ring used to lock the camera / filter wheel at the correct orientation.

Archived