Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Art or Magic Bullet - New book by Steve Richards

FLO

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

AA5 sets the scene for the main event so hopefully the new book will give you some good ideas within a layer-based processing environment.

Yes, that's my view as well. I'm a great fan of AstroArt for stacking and calibrating but the real fun begins in Pixinsight and Photoshop etc.

Well done on getting this together, Steve. I'm sure it will fill a gap in the market and be much appreciated. Without some guiding principles processing can become a glory of floundering and thrashing about. :happy6: There are some truly terrible processing guides on U Tube in which the authors massacre their data with not a thought for what they are actually doing. We all know that this is the very opposite of your own structured approach. There are many different ways of processing an image, which is good because it means we don't all produce the same pictures, but there can be no negotiating with some basic facts and principles and I'm confident you'll have these laid down clearly.

It's a great title, too! :icon_salut:

Olly

20 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Or Sinterklaas here in the Netherlands

That can be tight, as Sinterklaas is 5 december.

From the reactions here, I'd say that "DAOMB" is going to be as great a success as "MEPC". (I'm a PI person, so I use acronyms.) :grin:

41 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

SDI :icon_biggrin:

Err what’s Reagan’s “Strategic Defense Initiative” got to do with it ?

Congrats Steve. I’m a huge fan of your processing style, I’ll have to get this just to see if you’re giving away some of that secret sauce in between the pages ?

Great news on the “lay flat” design too. I seem to recall my well used copy of MEPC ended up twice as thick with the amount of sellotape ?

57 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Congrats Steve. I’m a huge fan of your processing style, I’ll have to get this just to see if you’re giving away some of that secret sauce in between the pages ?

I leave no stone unturned in my efforts to let you know what (little) I know!

16 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Making Every Photon Count is aimed at the absolute beginner.............

Dark Art or Magic Bullet? is aimed at those who have started imaging...........

With my setup, I do neither, but MEPC has kept me in the picture as it were, with regards to what I could aquire in order to proceed down the astrophotography route. Its the reason I often mention in some threads the popularity of an ED80 for imaging! ( having sought permission from Steve?)
There are other books on the market, but I refer to this one all the time.

As for new book, I have built several computers in the past, and have completed many upgrades, but often when it comes down to using the software  programs themselves, I have to resolve to reading, line-by-line,  on how to do something quite simple, even setting up a business letter will often resort to a quick browse!  but to be honest, this is just down to lack of use, so more time and study/practice will no doubt improve the situation, however, as  an extension to the first book, and the fact that is is solely based on processing, maybe I can improve some of the images already in my collection from my normal digital photography, as well as gaining more knowledge when the time comes to processing my astrophotography projects. 

I have already taken some single shots of the Moon in the past using a bog standard Nikon D5000 attached to my Skyliner, and for me, the initial results are promising, but the processes that involve stacking images sometimes bother me, as its now no longer an original, but  an edited image, akin to airbrushing spots and pimples  scars of someones face, its maybe more pleasing but not so natural.

Anyhow, receipt in hand and lot's to learn, looking forward to the  arrival of the new book.

Archived