Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you get up to imaging wise last night?

PESKYWAABBIT

It was an amazing night last night in the East of England and I was out imaging the M31, M33 and M42 in the few hours I had free. I still need to do some post processing so the images will have to wait!

Curious what targets you guys were imaging and if you had some photos to share? :)

At work at the moment,but I like having something to look forward to or look at end of the day :)

I was at an event in London yesterday evening, rather frustrated knowing that the forecast was clear. However, remote control saved the night as I stopped at Heston Services at about 10pm on my way home to dial in to my observatory and start an imaging run on IC342. Thankfully it all went smoothly and didn’t involve the line “Heston, we have a problem”! Unfortunately the run was cut short at about 2:15am as high hazy cloud flooded in from the West. I still have quite a bit of data to collect before any image is forth coming. 

Alicante: Haze from the Easterlies so nothing artistic possible. Spent an hour trying to solve the elongated-star-maybe-make-certain-everything-is-tight-and-try-again differential flex advice for my 150-f8. Must stop telling myself everything is as tight as it could be... Looking reasonable for a change. Really exciting cr2 frames of ngc7790 to enlarge. Bet you can't wait!

L_0022_ISO800.thumb.jpg.05c7abcdd287f195847117606b83405f.jpg

Looks like it was a productive night.  I was homed in on the Iris.  Nice at first, then lost about 90mins because I forgot to restart the imaging after a refocus, started to get very murky towards midnight so packed in.  Good evening with binos though

It was the first practically moonless clear night in Cornwall for weeks (or months, more-like)! I imaged the Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405) in Auriga with a Sky-Watcher 80mm ED, piggy backed on a Celestron C8 for manual guiding. Next up was Orion's Sword and Belt, plus the central part of Barnard's Loop, with a 100mm lens piggybacked for tracking (no guiding) on the C8. I'm planning to do the processing tonight, if it's not clear - otherwise later in the weekend.

Regards, Mike.

17 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

what exposure setting did you use for this picture? 

Hi Adam.

It was taken with a modified Canon 1000d (IR filter removed), through an ED80 FL=522mm F6.5, 600s at ISO1600, with a CLS light pollution filter.

Makes a refreshing change to have a clear night coinciding with a new moon.  I've been doing a fair bit of NB imaging recently, so decided on a change and had a go at M74.  Got 3 hours of luminance with my 8" RC / ASI1600MM-C.  Image scale at 0.49" is ridiculously optimistic for NE England but fancied a punt.  Only done rough and ready processing so far in PS just to see how it looked.  Supposed to be clear again for the next couple of nights so hoping to get some RGB to colour it up:

5a0ef31fc9f2f_M74LumResult1.thumb.jpg.cde8215f2d57b1270bcaf68cefb1b309.jpg

I had a complete disaster with the Elephant's Trunk... bad focus and something else bad going on too... there were clouds, but it also dropped below freezing – maybe frost or dew?

12 x 300s, Quattro 8", QHY8L (OSC), guided & dithered with Nebulosity/PHD2.

E75B6433-E35E-4CC5-8787-E1DC665C9AC0.thumb.jpeg.61e6d5c667410d9f929b57364ea765a0.jpeg

Got another hour of L on Deer Lick and Stephan's Quintet before they got too low over my house, then moved on the the Crab and got 3x50 blocks of RGB that I'll combine with some NB from last year.

Archived