Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
astrosathya

Software Hoarding

Hey Everyone,

I bought a new laptop two days ago. Even though I do have the standard software like APT, PHD1,2, CdC, Stellarium, DSS, ASCOM, EQMOD etc. etc, Anyone have any other software in mind I could install? I'll admit that I kind of hoard them on the PC and not really use them.

If you are not going to use them then don't install them. Why take up memory when you don't need to.

Peter

What about software for processing beyond DSS? Photoshop/GIMP/Pixinsight etc.?

If the laptop is new and of reasonable spec, then chances are the hard drive is a high capacity. Mine was only mid-range and has a 1TB hard drive, which is only around 15% full after installing everything I need. Plenty of space for images left!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexwolf
      Hello!
      Today we published first release candidate to version 0.19.1 - please help us testing Stellarium!
      List of changes between version 0.19.0 and master (0.19.0.16926/0.19.1RC1):
      - Added allow to search an inactive meteor showers in Search Tool/Lists tool
      - Added 'Azimuth vs. Time' graph into AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added feature to show tracks for latest several selected planets (GH: #539)
      - Added calculation and showing the orbital period for artificial satellites
      - Added revolutions per day info for artificial satellites
      - Added tools for jumping to the next or previous time of rising, transit or setting for selected object (GH: #484)
      - Added new behavoir for AstroCalc/Graphs when clicking within graph area now sets current time.
      - Fixed issue in script 'Mercury Triple Sunrise and Sunset'
      - Fixed crash of Stellarium for eyepieces with permanent crosshair
      - Fixed Stellarium crash when Remote Control plugin is working
      - Fixed computation of assume radius for minor planets.
      - Fixed the issue of the scrolling not working properly on Mac (GH: #393)
      - Fixed crash in Scripting Engine (Hide artificial satellites through StelProperties in core.clear() method to avoid crash if plugin was didn't loaded)
      - Fixed planetarium crash in HiPS (network manager delete problem)
      - Fixed position problems on the Poles (GH: #391)
      - Fixed scaling Telrad sign on HighDPI monitors
      - Fixed surface occlusion bug even with landscape turned off in scripting engine (GH: #680)
      - Fixed building with cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON (GH: #683)
      - Fixed error in constellation file format (Babylonian)
      - Fixed Europe/Volgograd time zone settings (GH: #686)
      - Fixed HiPS handling of allsky download (GH: #671)
      - Fixed progress bar rendering (GH: #671)
      - Fixed positive declinations issue in AstroCalc tool when option 'Use decimal degrees' is enabled (GH: #690)
      - Fixed file names inconsistency
      - Fixed constellation line in "Japanese Moon Stations" skyculture
      - Fixed file name for constellation boundaries in Stellarium User Guide
      - Fixed the user interface problems in Oculars plug-in (GH: #580)
      - Fixed getting the wrong values in objects/info method for selected object for different formats (Remote Control plugin)
      - Fixed refresh plots when AstroCalc dialog becomes visible again (AstroCalc/Graphs tool)
      - Fixed jquery vulnerability (GH: #694)
      - Fixed date and time dialog behaviour: Hour/Minute/Second spinners now correctly trigger signals dateChanged(), dateChangedByYear and dateChangedForMonth() when days, months or years are affected by it.
      - Fixed update graphs in AstroCalc/Graphs tool when days change
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated common names of stars and DSO's
      - Updated cmake rules for Windows deployment
      - Updated DSO textures
      - Updated behaviour of HiPS survey if Stellarium started without network (GH: #681)
      - Updated GUI for ArchaeoLines plugin (GH: #689, #682)
      - Updated default pulsars catalog (v1.60)
      - Updated list of asterisms
      - Excluded Armintxe skyculture and landscape from default package
      Download link: https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/tag/beta
    • By stardude07
      Hey everyone!

I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Christopher, 30, from the United States and have been living in Europe for a few years. I mostly enjoy astrophotography when the weather permits. I hope to make a few new friends here and learn a lot about astrophotography. I have more gear than I should compared to how much I actually know about astrophotography but I am always willing to learn new tricks. I just got a new Stellarvue OTA, so I'm also new to middle range focal length. Can't wait to see what y'all have to offer on these forums
      Christopher

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Posting a photograph of the Summer Milky Way band that I took last week.
      However, I do not know how should I feel about this!
      This is when the band was right overhead, which is a rare sight for us and happens only when monsoon season is delayed. There was decent glow towards horizon but literally nothing at zenith.
      19 degrees north latitude, around Bortle 3 level sky, taken using Nikon 5300, basic lens.
      And with this, I prepare to have no view of stars till September ends 

• By G4EQZ
      Hi, Folks
       I am only a few weeks into astronomy and started off with a Celestron 9.25" Evo on the standard AZ mount. I guess with hindsight this wasn't the best place to start and also with hindsight I would have done better to have bought a GEM mount. Anyway, lesson learned and at 71 years old I have to speed up the learning process compared to younger enthusiasts  I have 2 issues. 1/ Its a pain dragging the scope out into the garden and setting it up every time I think the fickled weather might be obliging. 2/ I now know that the mount I have is useless for long exposures and a wedge is fiddly to get polar aligned.
      My question is, though I gather wedges are a PITA to setup etc is if I was to build or buy a pier for the backyard and use my existing mount + a wedge is this a reasonable way to go? Though it's fiddly to set the thing up once set I could leave the mount, wedge, etc covered up and would just need to drop the OTA on when I wanted to use it.  Is this reasonable or am I missing something fundamental down near the bottom end of my learning curve
      Any advice much appreciated and don't feel you have to spare my feelings
    • By Stargazer33
      Hi, this question has probably been done to death here, but can I ask the community to help me decide on a new camera?
      After struggling with my very glitchy QHY5LIIc camera for a while, as well as having a forced break from astronomy, I have decided to get a new camera. After all the problems I've been having with the QHY, I really don't want to use this manufacturer again. I know lots of people use them quite happily, but once bitten ...
      I have been looking at the ZWO cameras - OSC, as I haven't the time, clear skies, or patients to do LRGB imaging!
      I have about £250 to spend, which I may be able to push to £300 if I wait a bit. ? So I've been looking at the ASI224MC, ASI290MC and the ASI178MC cameras.
      I mainly do planetary/Luna imaging, but I have also dabbled in a bit of DSO and would like to continue with both. I have a C9.25 and a ST80 guide scope. I know these aren't ideal for DSOs but please humour me!
      I think from the specs/information that the 224 is probably the best option. Although the resolution and QE are the worst of the three, the well depth and read noise are the best and the fps is pretty good too.
      I don't know if there are better/cheaper cameras using the same chips, such as Altair's range. I just don't want to make the same mistake that I did with the QHY!n
      Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated.?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.