Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is it possible

Hi Darren,

Question 1: afocal or prime focus ? - You will need a T-ring for your camera and if doing afocal photography, an eyepiece projection unit to insert your eyepiece - link here --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/tele-camera-adaptor-for-eyepiece-projection-astrophotography.html - for prime focus there are dedicated SCT adaptors (Celestron do one) - link here --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-sct-t-adapter.html - you just need to unscrew the visual back and screw the adaptor in place - it does not hold an eyepiece - if using the Eyepiece Projection Unit it simply fits into the visual back. 

Question 2: what do you intend to photograph? - as it is a goto alt-az mount you should be for Lunar and brighter planets as they require 'short' exposures - not to sure on fainter planets and other celestial objects though, as you will encounter field-rotation and/or star trails, unless you have it mounted a GEM/EQ mount and then it will need to be polar aligned.

I am not into astro-photography at present, but hopefully this helps. I have tried prime focus photography with a digital compact camera and a CLA adaptor. As the lens is not removable, I get a nice view of the secondary mirror when used with my ETX105 & C6 at prime focus. I not tried with my TeleVue Ranger, except afocal of the Moon a few years ago and these were a bit of a let down. I will try again at some point. 

Other SGL'ers will be along and offer their thoughts and ideas.

IMG_0386.JPG.dea17d338444d500af40e5bd9fdd54b5.JPG<--- photo of my ETX105 before the backplate was 're-modded' - my eyepiece projection unit is in front of the 'scope

Hi, I got a Nexstar 8se and it is an amazing telescope. However, the mount was awful. The 8se is simply too heavy for a that alt-azimuth mount. After trying the wedge and having no luck I got an avx mount. 

I highly recommend that if you want to do deep sky imaging, then you need an equatorial mount.

Archived