Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade for Meade Infinity 102 mount

jRaskell

After having used my Meade Infinity 102 several times now, the piece that has been the biggest impediment to observing is the mount.  The main issue has been with altitude adjustment, both course and fine.

There's some play in the course adjustment, about 1-2º worth, and the fine adjustment is a bit on the rough side.  The azimuth control is ok in both course and fine adjustment.

There's also the fact that the fine adjustments have a limited range which requires re-centering them about a few times every hour or so.

I've tried various tweaks to the mount to no avail.  At this point I'm not really inclined to put any more effort into improving the mount.  It is usable and if I stick with this and am still observing a couple months from now, then I'll be looking for an upgrade.  I want to stick with the alt-az design.  I don't want to pay for goto capabilities. I'm currently not interested in imaging.  Would the Vixen Mini Porta be too small for this scope?  Would the Vixen Porta II be a more appropriate mount for this scope?  Any other options I should consider?

Archived