Vixen 13mm LVW

Timebandit

Vixen 13mm LVW

IMG_20170908_070051.thumb.jpg.9f039191649cc31b8dc86345b6f0b195.jpg

IMG_20170908_070113.thumb.jpg.a49d2b640dde95a55ed802511c22fc8c.jpg

IMG_20170908_070222.thumb.jpg.50c3ff01dee9d81635fc530986f310f9.jpg

This is to fill the gap between my Pentax 10 XW and Nagler 20mm. As usually i prefer Pentax or Televue for wider fov eyepieces, then this should be an interesting journey. Have used Vixen before and been impressed for the price point. Looking forward to trying in the refractor and the f/4.6 reflector to see how it holds up  

Well I have had some time with the LVW eyepiece, but this was limited 

Saturday night/Sunday morning, initially the weather was not good. Cloud cloud and more cloud and a bit of rain to add to the mix. I had given up hope by about 11.30 Saturday night . At the end of a horror movie about 12 I stuck my head out of the front door,and typical the clouds had cleared, stars in the Sky and Orion was showing in a South east direction. I was in two minds just to hit the sack ,but the AZ 4 was looking at me in the corner. On went the outside security light , the AZ 4 was put in position, equinox 120 placed security onto it and the Televue diagonal placed in the set up.

My initial thoughts of the eyepiece. Well built , feels heavy and solid to which I personally take as a sign of quality construction. A rubber type eyecup and chromed 1.25 male fitting. All in all the build quality was not disappointing. I placed the eyepiece into the dielectric diagonal,and balance of scope was fine. Looking through the eyepiece I brought the scope into focus around the trapezium area of Orion .  The eyepiece I felt I had to just touch my eye into the cup to get the full field of view. And the 65d fov was nicely framed without need  to move your head around. The stars where points of light with a sharp pinpoint appearance, which is a good start. The nebulas gasses were very clear and well contrasting against the dark background of the sky. The eyepiece on axis view was sharp and with the stars on  the edge of field of view were also very well presented with being points of light and sharp, therefore you do seem to have a true 65d fov with quality presented across the entire field. The optical quality seemed very good and this eyepiece seemed to reminded  me of a mini Pentax XW type. I will need to try it up against the Pentax at some point and maybe a BGO to see how well really the Optics are configured. But my initial thoughts on this eyepiece is very encouraging with the 120ed. I will be interested to see how it reacts and performs in the f/4.6 reflector Dob. This will be far more of a test for the LVW, but I get the feeling this eyepiece may well be up to the task, I hope so anyway ☺

Archived