SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new set up is complete

Doc

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

They say it's the best available. And having a 46mm clear aperture is fantastic for all 2" eyepieces.

I'll be very interested to read about how good this one turns out to be. Mine are from Baader - excellent specimens, but I had to return a couple of them to finally get these two. The story is here:

I do stand by the quality that Baader has delivered, but it would seem these are not easy to produce to a consistently high standard.

Will be glad to read how you eventually get on!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16 November 2017 at 16:51, Doc said:

Finally have my new set up complete. Well I have to buy a top notch AMICI diagonal at some stage but I'm really happy with the set up so far.

Berlebach Planet Tripod - Doc's DiscMount - Esprit 120ED APO - Televue Eyepieces

The mount is homemade and is super stable.

XHtXe8.jpg

VyLdZV.jpg

J2KCzd.jpg

OTAyFF.jpg

bZJkt8.jpg

QyLYHa.jpg

qGvM9W.jpg

snf9O8.jpg

yj2LKG.jpg

2X4CY8.jpg

I really like those wooden tripods!

Doc, what, nut-bolt-washer combination did you use to fasten your mount to the tripod?

The large aluminium nut you see with the brass top is only for show, the mount is connected via the tripod screw underneath. I think the thread is 3/8 16 TPI BSW, I have now placed a stud into the top of the tripod which locates with a hole in the mount base so I can locate the thread to screw the mount to the tripod.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looking good :hello2:

Place a bit of cork between the tripod head and the first riser, it really does help with dampening vibrations down.

Thanks, that's worth following up. I have sacrificed the only bit of cork I had in the house - one of those old IKEA drinks coasters / beer mats. Is that the sort of thing? It's on there now, anyway. Otherwise, I'll have to source some cork...

:icon_scratch:

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes coasters will do. I needed some 5" in diameter and I used a dinner plate mat as a coaster was too small, I drew round the mount base and cut it out.

This coaster is indeed not as wide as the widest bit of the bottom of the riser, but it nicely separates the six bolt heads on which the riser would otherwise stand from the top plate on the tripod (can slide a single sheet of paper between). I guess that's the crucial bit.

Archived