Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My next filter... S11 or 0111?

StargeezerTim

Hello Stargazers,

I use DSLRs for imaging (modded). I have recently started using a Ha clip in filter and combine this with RGB on occasion. My question is, which filter should I get next, assuming I can only get one at a time? I would like to get the one that would offer the most possibilities for combining images with my Ha filter. I am very new to narrowband and know that that you need the three to make 'hubble' pallete images but wanted to know which one, O111 or S11, offers the most possibilities for a DSLR imager?

Cheers, Tim.  

I'd go for o111 so you can do bi-colour images.

That's what I went for when I used to use a modded DSLR. 

Just beware that your o111 images will be quite noisy and signal is hard to come by. You'll need alot of data, or atleast that's what I found when imaging. 

I always had thought that Sii would be more suited to NB with a modded DSLR due to being in the red zone but I guess there is so little Sii from objects that’s it’s hard to gather it. 

But Geordie is right that Oiii seems to be the best second wavelength to go for. 

Also I haven’t done it myself but you can produce a third synthetic colour channel from the Ha and Oiii to produce lovely tri-colour images. 

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I always had thought that Sii would be more suited to NB with a modded DSLR due to being in the red zone but I guess there is so little Sii from objects that’s it’s hard to gather it. 

But Geordie is right that Oiii seems to be the best second wavelength to go for. 

Also I haven’t done it myself but you can produce a third synthetic colour channel from the Ha and Oiii to produce lovely tri-colour images. 

OIII for sure, but you will be limited to the brighter OIII objects. The soul was a real challenge with my cooled DSLR and an OIII filter.  The Rosetta is a great place to start its much much easier for OIII on a DSLR expect to make use of longer subs and highter ISO than you use with a Ha filter. 

Archived