Andromeda DSLR and focal reducer

Craig123

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alacant said:

This one, third along:

Capture.JPG.8bb2b29b638d14e7ee194a5f9e4ae94c.JPG

The screen then changes from the small square to green lines and you'll see the guiding errors:

guide1.thumb.JPG.07fd38ba7dfd6ab0f8364e918a851ff1.JPG

Thanks...that is a great help.I might get another chance Saturday so know what too look for

1 hour ago, astrosathya said:

Please upload a dropbox link to your stacked file. Given the quantity of data you have, I am sure some of us here would love to have a go at it and see what we can pull out.

Thanks...that would be really good.Will do it Saturday

For guiding in PHD, you shouldn't be using 5 min subs.  Try something more along the lines of 1-3 seconds.  All that you guide camera needs to do is capture a star, it doesn't need to be a long exposure.  Any star that's close(ish) to your target will do.  When it's guiding you'll get the graph build up as it shows the differences between the frames.

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

For guiding in PHD, you shouldn't be using 5 min subs.  Try something more along the lines of 1-3 seconds.  All that you guide camera needs to do is capture a star, it doesn't need to be a long exposure.  Any star that's close(ish) to your target will do.  When it's guiding you'll get the graph build up as it shows the differences between the frames.

Hi..thanks.I was doing 5 mins with imaging  camera but only 2 seconds with the guide camera.Even though I hit the button Alacant has pointed out it still didn't bring on the screen he kindly posted a screenshot of so I'm still stumped as too what I missed off.I will have to have another look tomorrow as it's meant to be clear here.

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

3 hours ago, alacant said:

This one, third along:

The screen then changes from the small square to green lines and you'll see the guiding errors:

Thanks...that is a great help.I might get another chance Saturday so know what too look for

Using the image Here's my idiot's guide to PHD.....

In the lower left corner there's a toolbar with buttons.

1. Press this to connect the mount, camera etc.

2. Press this to get the camera to start taking framing images.  This will let you see what's being captured, adjust the focus, exposure time etc so that you get a good SNR.

3. Press this button to start guiding.   PHD will take a few mins to calibrate (seen in the lower right corner) once that goes green it should be guiding.

Capture.thumb.PNG.27584785a7d7e2a94bebf5de34d7564c.PNG

On 16/11/2017 at 22:37, The Admiral said:

Don't expect it to be the "Bee's Knees", but at least you'll be able get an idea what 30s subs can do, with a 102mm at about f/5.6.

Ian

Nice shot Ian.Got round to having a look on your page at M31.

On 17/11/2017 at 07:01, alacant said:

This one, third along:

Hi

I had another go last night and got it working..i checked your post to make sure it looked right so thanks.The main thing i did differently was to autoselect star and leave it a while and watch it calibrate.It kept going until my target disappeared behind the house a few hours later.I also dumped  my Sony a7s and used an Atik i got on here  with focal reducer so a good night really.

Cheers

On 17/11/2017 at 07:01, alacant said:

This one, third along:

Hi

I had another go last night and got it working..i checked your post to make sure it looked right so thanks.The main thing i did differently was to autoselect star and leave it a while and watch it calibrate.It kept going until my target disappeared behind the house a few hours later.I also dumped  my Sony a7s and used an Atik i got on here  with focal reducer so a good night really.

Cheers

Archived