Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Failures revisited 15/11/17

domstar

Despite the negative forecast, the sky was totally clear so I went out at 8.15 hoping to right the wrongs of the previous evening. First up was the Triangulum galaxy M33. As Peter Drew had predicted, it is easier to see in binoculars- and there is was- in binoculars, closer to the triangle than I had thought. So to the scope. I hate pointing up towards the zenith but I managed to find Mothallah. That's still a distance from M33 with no other stars to help me. I searched around unsuccessfully two or three times until at last I found it- big and extremely faint. Not a beauty in a 4inch but I was very pleased due to its previous elusiveness and the fact that it's actually another GALAXY. What's not to like?

Then to the next of Tuesday's failures-M74 in Pisces. I found the place and looked and looked but nothing. So I looked some more and nothing. Never mind. I moved down to look for Uranus- no dice. Back up to M74 still nothing. My Uranus problem was not understanding how Pisces moves across the sky. Once I had that worked out (guessed) I found the right star to hop from and there was Uranus- if not unmistakable then almost obvious. I switched to 90x and wow. I get ants in my pants looking at Saturn, but I stayed with Uranus just drifting and drifting almost till I packed up after 10 o'clock. One of my best moments in this hobby. A tiny dot- it just looked so far away. No detail to tease out, no wishing for slightly more aperture. It gave me a buzz all night and all day so far.

When I got home I stood on the balcony with a small whisky, not feeling the cold, looking at Orion rising and relishing the nights to come.

Thanks for reading (and thanks to Peter Drew- I forgot I even had binoculars)

Nice one! Glad you got some of those pesky targets this time. As I recall, M74 has low surface brightness so is a tricky target to get unless under a dark sky. Wikipedia seems to back this up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_74

Uranus is a good one to get, amazing to see these outer planets. Have a go for Neptune next maybe? A bit tougher but still doable in binoculars.

@Stu Thanks. Each failed attempt helps me pinpoint the exact location further. If I stare enough I think I can will it into view. I have a lot more patience if I know I have the right place. Would you recommend my Baader 32mm plossl, my Aero 30mm 2 inch or my 28mm 2inch free with the scope in my 100ED? Field of view is not an issue just brightness. I'm yet to get my head around exit pupils.

As for Neptune, due to the wonders of stellarium, I've been able to see Neptune. It really helped being next to Mars and now Hydor. My problem with Uranus was that it's in Pisces, which I've always found difficult to see. (Aries points nicely that way, though). I can't imagine searching for Uranus and Neptune before the days of stellarium. 

Anyway, thanks again and sorry to notify you, you're probably really busy.

I was observing Uranus last night and had similar sentiments.  It was a beautiful pale blue disk, and the fact it was just such a perfect, subtle but totally discernible planet really made for a feeling of contentment in just staring at it for a long period.  Like you said, it didn't leave me wanting for more detail.  Nice report!

Archived