SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do i need more filters'

Taff

Hi' At the moment i have got two CLS filters' one which go inside the DSLR camera and the other one screw to a eyepiece.A light pollution filter; Olll filter, plus coloured filters.What i like to know do i need any other filters' to help me to capture the night sky or for viewing.Thanks for looking.Mark

As a good "Filter-Nut," Mark, I'm giving you (or anyone who can click on it) an excellent article by one David Knisely - a famous 'Filter-Nut' from the Prairie Astronomy Club in the state of Nebraska. This well-known read is his comparison of 3 main types of filters on a very long list of DSO's. I've turned it into a Pdf. for ease of handling and storage. And dropping off into forums! :p Here you be:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae - by Dave Knisely.pdf

As for "Do I need more filters'" Uh - do I?

5a0d248beebb6_FilterCollectionc.JPG.9d297ac84c52d5dff685f9db81124c00.JPG

This is most of mine. I HOPE I'm done.....:D

Enjoy the article -

Dave

For imaging you don't need any colour filters because your camera has them in place on the chip already in a Bayer Matrix of red, green, green, blue, one colour per pixel.

You can use Ha and OIII as well but the OIII needs to be an imaging rather than a visual version. The bandpass of the visual one is too wide for imaging. The Bayer Matrix on your camera makes the use of Ha and OIII possible but inefficient. I'd get started without worrying about these.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2017 at 16:41, Dave In Vermont said:

As a good "Filter-Nut," Mark, I'm giving you (or anyone who can click on it) an excellent article by one David Knisely - a famous 'Filter-Nut' from the Prairie Astronomy Club in the state of Nebraska. This well-known read is his comparison of 3 main types of filters on a very long list of DSO's. I've turned it into a Pdf. for ease of handling and storage. And dropping off into forums! :p Here you be:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae - by Dave Knisely.pdf

As for "Do I need more filters'" Uh - do I?

5a0d248beebb6_FilterCollectionc.JPG.9d297ac84c52d5dff685f9db81124c00.JPG

This is most of mine. I HOPE I'm done.....:D

Enjoy the article -

Dave

Holii kr4p... filter junky!!! 

Wow that's a lot of filters...

Archived