Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrozap Dew Straps on 200p

Hi guys. 

Just a quick one. Do I only need one astrozap Dew strap on a 200p? Or would I need two? One at the top, one at the bottom? 

Or it just one, where would it be best placed?

I'm going to make my own dew cover at the top with a camping mat, and get a 4 channel controller. One strap for the finder/guider, one for the telrad and not sure of I need one or two for the OTA. 

Thanks in advance. 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

just checking are you talking about the SW200p dob?

i have the same scope and never had a problem with dew?

however the principal behind the dew heater is that it warms the lens or in your case the mirror so that dew can not form. So in short it would go around the bottom but as above I’m not sure it’s needed

hope this helps

Hi Mike, never had any need for dew protection, the secondary is vulnerable but I use a dew shield to protect this (and from extraneous light).  In my opinion the primary mirror is too far back to be affected by dew.  Always plenty of condensation when brought into the warmer house from the outside.

I've had some serious dew issues the last few times I've been out.
Secondary is worst, but the primary has been affected. 
Not so bad on some nights, but if I get a clear sky after a few days (weeks!) of rain, it seems the dew is horrendous.

Would a simple dew shield out of a caming mat make that much difference?

Archived