SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 vs NEQ6

dan_19991

Im currently using a eq5 with 200p, canon 1000d an am planning on getting a qhy5 mono for guiding soon. currently im having to throw away more than 60% of my frames, so am looking to upgrade my mount and currently am looking at the HEQ5 and the NEQ6. id obviously prefer to get the NEQ6 but my question is is it worth the extra few hundred punds and the extra wait, there are a few HEQ5 mounts for around the £5-600 mark and could get one soon, where as the NEQ6 im told do occasionally come up for sale for around the £6-700 mark but ive been looking for a few weeks and havent seen any. is it worth the wait and is the beefier NEQ6 worth it with my current setup?

If you want to use the 200p and add extra weight with guiding equipment then I would say it's right at the edge of the HEQ5's capabilities. It'll do it but will need careful setup and not a breath of wind with a 200p on it.

thanks for the reply, i dont mind luggy it around even though i cannot leave it permanently setup. i know itd be right on the limit, is it worth the extra £300 though as there is a HEQ5 available for £450 and a NEQ6 for £750, anyone know if thats a good price for NEQ6.

11 hours ago, Spikey said:

I've had both mounts and to be honest I much preferred the HEQ5 because it was so much more portable. Have you ever considered a 130p for imaging instead of the 200 (which you could save for visual).

i have considered it but i figured that the money spent buying a new scope could be used to buy an autoguiding system or would getting a 102 refractor from skywatcher be a better idea, but that would solve the wind sail problem and the weight problem, would it then be too small to use a st80 for guiding then?

One thing I have learnt in astro photography is: mount is everything. If a mount is "near the limit" you will be telling yourself every time anything goes awry "I should have bought the bigger mount" If, at a later date, you don't get on with it you can always sell it. The EQ6 is always in demand. I would still be using my NEQ6 now if I hadn't got such a bargain for my current mount. BTW my NEQ6 sold in 4 days.

Steve

I have brought and sold a few neq6 mounts, these have all been around the £600-650 mark. Have you already move a neq6? I too went from the eq5pro to neq6 and weight and size was a real shocker to me. Soon decided on a permanent mount. I do still miss my eq5, should have kept it for a mobile setup.

Archived