SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wizard nebula

Jannis

Probably not the best target for my unmodded 550D and with half the moon lit up, but i wanted to give it a go anyway.

Image is 42x 600s exposures at ISO 800 with the Explorer 200. Stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

I used the CLS filter when imaging this and it helped a lot on the light pollution from the nearby city, but it did affect the star color quite a bit.
7 hours of exposure did help a bit bringing out the nebula and i'm quite happy with it. It's still a bit noisy and not very deep though, but i'm sure i'll get back to it at a later point with a better/modded camera and no moon... :)

Wizard 7h 42x 10m flat v4 sgl akam.jpg

That is a great picture.   (Even more so as you had Moon interference.)   Well done.

I need to give more time to my subject matter   20 x 3 minutes just does not bring out the detail.

I suppose ISO 800  helps as well for clarity ?

Sean.

Thank you guys! :)

Sean, i would say ISO 800 is pretty much ideal for the 550D as its right around where the dynamic range starts dropping and the read noise stops dropping. I noticed my images started to get more details once i started using this ISO as my "main" ISO value.
Only times i try higher ISO (3200) is with Ha as my camera is unmodded, and the slightly less read noise (2.2 vs 2.9 e-) helps a bit as the image is very dark anyway.

Archived