Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

wookie1965    1,389

I have just found out the pod I am going in has 6 amp supply (I am not happy) and a maximum of 1300 watts, now as it is November I am going to be taking a heater which runs 500/1000 watts if I keep that on at just the 500 watts can someone tell me what wattage a EQ5 goto mount pulls please.

faulksy    3,281

you need the amps to work it out, but deffo wont be more than 800 watts, it will probably be around 100 watts

wookie1965    1,389

I`m just looking at my fan heater now I`ve used this many times camping just on the low setting I know (Cotterless45) has done the same on looking at this it says the wattage is 1800/2000 so I am not going to be able to use this with my mount. Getting that way I might not even go now it will be too cold.

LightBucket    203

Ok, so you have a 6 amp 240v supply, which is approx 1300 watts, that much we know

your heater will draw 500 watts at 240v

you mount will be using 12v DC that will only draw at 5 amp (which is a bit high) around 70 watts...

so you will be fine :)

• Like 1

LightBucket    203

This may help

3A to watts calculation with voltage of 12V DC

For DC power supply, watts are equal to amps times volts.

watts = amps × volts

watts = 3A × 12V = 36W

3A to watts calculation with voltage of 230V AC

For AC power supply, watts are equal to the power factor times amps times volts.

watts = PF × amps × volts

For resistive load without inductors or capacitors, the power factor is equal to 1:

watts = 1 × 3A × 230V = 690W

For inductive load (like induction motor), the power factor can be approximately equal to 0.8:

watts = 0.8 × 3A × 230V = 552W

wookie1965    1,389

Brilliant I have just built a battery box not tried it yet so I think I will take that and trickle charge it through the day if need be, I was not going to take it because of the weight but just ordered a trolley so I can pull it around instead of carrying it thank you so much, I was trying to covert myself but the power factor threw me.

• Like 1

LightBucket    203
2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant I have just built a battery box not tried it yet so I think I will take that and trickle charge it through the day if need be, I was not going to take it because of the weight but just ordered a trolley so I can pull it around instead of carrying it thank you so much, I was trying to covert myself but the power factor threw me.

No problem, have fun :)

Waldemar    275
On 14-11-2017 at 17:23, wookie1965 said:

I have just found out the pod I am going in has 6 amp supply (I am not happy) and a maximum of 1300 watts, now as it is November I am going to be taking a heater which runs 500/1000 watts if I keep that on at just the 500 watts can someone tell me what wattage a EQ5 goto mount pulls please.

The 6 amps, 1300 Watts you mention is at 220/240 Volts.

Your mount takes 4-5 amps max when fully loaded and slewing at maximum speed at 12 Volts, so that will be 60 Watts max. Nothing to worry about.
You can put your heating to max and still have enough left to power all your astro equipment.

Watts are Volts X Amps. Amps alone without Volts don't tell anything about wattage consumption. 

Your mistake is to just look at the Amps.

Edited by Waldemar
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Fade2grey
      Hi all,

my first post post here and thought I'd dive right in, sorry if this is done to death as there are a few very similar posts but figure my prime requirement is slightly different.
      xmas present from the wife is a telescope, she's been scouring eBay etc with a budget of 200-250. She's identified the sky watcher 127 synscan as a good option.
      im completely new to observing. Don't really know what I want out of it. We do a fair bit of camping with the kids and always enjoy looking at the sky at night. So that's what this is for
      main requirements
      portability - needs to fit in the car with our camping gear. If it's massive or really heavy we'll probably not take it out as much.
      auto setup - as automatic as humanly possible please  and I like my gadgets lol
      something like the goto system which can take you on a tour or point/track specific objects
      optionally:
      terrestrial use 
      camera/webcam/Ccd for pictures- not sure if I'll really need that but great if it's possible.
      so far it looks like the sky watcher 127 goto and the celestron equivalent are front runners. I've also found the celestron 4se which seems to tick the boxes. The 5se would be lovely but out of budget from what I can see.
      Are any of these bad choices? They are all mak setups(?) which we thought gave us the benifit of a more compact unit.
      anything else we should be thinking about/considering? - I'll probably be powering it direct from the 12v on the Landrover so will need a suitable cable.
      cheers!
    • By sockgoblin
      hello all
      just got back from an extended holiday through France , Italy and Greece. We took a VW van , camped in France and Italy and then stayed in an apartment in Greece.
      I took the Heritage 130p flex tube along and as some others have asked about a portable setup I thought I should report back.
      The scope was packed in a plastic gardening trug , the OTA wrapped in a towel and laid on the dobs base in the trug ,and then assembled at each location and either stored in the corner of the tent or the apartment. I needed to collimate at each outing as the scope was rattled around over 3000 miles of road, but just a 5 minute job with a Cheshire.
      In truth , in Italy and in France the lights on the campsites made viewing not great ,but in Greece the view over the sea was good.
      Highlights were , sitting behind the van , to avoid the  lights, at 2pm in the morning  on a French campsite listening to a Dutch guy snoring in the nearby tent and the mossies buzzing but seeing the Whirlpool Galaxy for the first time.
      In Italy viewing the Moon , Mars and Saturn over the Umbrian hills. (see Pic below)
      In Greece , most of the time we had the Moon above but for a few days we had moonless skies. My wife , myself and son lying on the sunloungers on the beach in the dark while I pointed out the various constellations and then spotting shooting stars . then on the way back to the apartment crossing a particular dark part of the beach and noticing the milky way ( dont see that at home)
      When we got back to the apartment ,I set up the scope on the balcony and we scanned across the milky way , I saw a large nebula ( no idea which one, the Mythos was flowing) It was deemed as awesome by my teenage son and his mate.
      On another night we introduced the folks in the bar to the ISS spotter app and we all clocked it skimming over the Greek mountains.
      Interestingly as Greece is at 39 degrees latitude (home is 53 degrees) I could see the Sagittarius "teapot" over the sea.
      A carepoint. I stored the scope , in the setup you can see below, with the light shroud around the trusses , however now I notice that the mirror is filthy. I should have closed it when not in use. I will be washing the mirror when I receive my distilled water
      The scope was great and I would highly recommend it to any travellers.
      As a separate post I will be asking where to upgrade from the 130p , but I will not be getting rid of this little gem.
      Additional note: The Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas was very useful but my new all time fave book is Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders by Robert Bruce Thompson and Barbara Fritchman Thompson, in my opinion even better than Turn Left at Orion. Its clear directions and great illustrations lead me to the Whirlpool Galaxy..very recommended.

• By cjdawson
      Hey all.
      I'm hiring a motor home for SGL11, and want to make sure that I can make it "white light friendly".  This is something that I'll have to do once on site, as I will be picking it up on the morning of travel.
      To make everything red, I'm guessing that the best thing to use is 106 Primary Red lighting Gel, like they use for state lighting.
      Here's a link to one possible source.
      https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting/lighting-gel/colour-effect/106-primary-red-lighting-gel-1
      My question is, to properly deck out a motor home - and an iPad, how much of this stuff am I likely to need?
    • By Nightfly
      Joy Cove, Steuben Maine
      A cool September evening in quiet Downeast Maine. The tide rolls out of the flats of Joy Cove with only the Illumination of the rising Moon and the camp fire. The stars of Sagittarius trail through the trees in this secluded campsite. The wife and kids tucked away in their sleeping bags while dad enjoys the warm campfire. You can perhaps just make this out with my back towards the camera. Ah, life in Maine.
      Pentax Spotmatic II 35mm f/3.5 SMC Takumar @ f/5.6 - 15 minutes exposure on Kodak Elite Chrome 200. Cropped to 5:4 ratio

Camping in Maine by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr