Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6997

jetstream

The sky cleared right up tonight and a nice relaxing sky cruise was had, no difficult targets were chosen. Sometimes looking at the same object(s) over and over helps certain features stand out and tonight a really nice star cluster, NGC 6997 grabbed my attention every time the 15" dob was swung on the North American nebula. The UHC gave a fantastic view of this cluster buried in the grey glow of the nebula riveting my attention. Thinking things were pretty good sky wise I popped up to the Scorpion and one of the Claws was contrasted nicely and the Bubble nebula was "bright" with a bit of small subtle structure.

Pickerings Wisp released its twisted structure tonight along with that dark hole in the middle of the triangle- the 20mm Lunt HDC/Lumicon OIII work very well together on these objects.

For some reason though I was going back to the NAN and its nice set of stars in that cluster...strange, I've seen it so many times. The UHC did a great job tonight showing many stars and  the nebulae. A quick blast over the Stephans Quintet satisfied my curiosity as to if it was still there-its still there :grin:

Archived