Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Adam J

Soul now with OIII (updated).

Have now added 3 hours of OIII from last night to my 5 hours of Ha, all 20 min subs, ISO800.

Equipment as per my signature block.

I am not finished with this yet, but could not resist posting it to get opinions on it as a work in progress.

Not sure my pallet is very conventional but I like it, hopefully not pushed it too far as I often tend to do.

This was my first time imaging this target and I was a little shocked by how faint the OIII signal was.

Edit: So I got my flats working and toned the whole thing down a little. Also decided I like it better standing upright. I should learn my lesson I always rush to post to early......

5a0cccdd001a4_SoulNebulaBiColor36smoothcrop.thumb.jpg.88b7d4f7f4db99e71a0f5742cf8b9666.jpg

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 8

That's a beautiful image - thank you!

I would LOVE to see this image side-by-side with an Astronomik OIII CCD-Filter to compare the effects of the different transmission-bands being visually taken into account.

Astronomik OIII

5a0a3eea867f2_AstronomikOIII.png.21c871bf36976c5d1c90c1f7bf3824ee.png

Baader OIII

5a0a3f10a9d09_BaaderOIIIspectra..jpg.3ddb465e2f199d3a18a89cb4b667e8be.jpg

Thanks, again!

Dave

Nice work... looks like it's finished, but I wonder what more data will reveal.

6 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Nice work... looks like it's finished, but I wonder what more data will reveal.

Thanks, I think my main issue with it is that the OIII data needs flats as I think some of the blue to the top of the image is most likely back ground sky glow. But I cant get it to work currently as per my thread in the processing section.

Lovely image and so full of detail. Narrowband is something I'd love to try when I can afford the filters :-)

47 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Thanks, I think my main issue with it is that the OIII data needs flats as I think some of the blue to the top of the image is most likely back ground sky glow. But I cant get it to work currently as per my thread in the processing section.

You're to critical of your image.. it is a great looking pieces of art....

On 11/14/2017 at 11:01, MarsG76 said:

You're to critical of your image.. it is a great looking pieces of art....

Well I have gotten the flats working and have toned it down a little. I like this much better. I should learn not to rush things. lol

5a0ccd8f53692_SoulNebulaBiColor36smoothcrop.thumb.jpg.718d30ebc3564258e7aa065175c7a7b8.jpg

• Like 2

Just love the detail on this. Incredible to think it’s from a DSLR (albeit a modded one)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Well I have gotten the flats working and have toned it down a little. I like this much better. I should learn not to rush things. lol

5a0ccd8f53692_SoulNebulaBiColor36smoothcrop.thumb.jpg.718d30ebc3564258e7aa065175c7a7b8.jpg

yeah, true this version looks better... much more balanced levels.... love it...

• Like 1

Thanks all, :)

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Just love the detail on this. Incredible to think it’s from a DSLR (albeit a modded one)

Its the cooling that makes the big difference. There are some areas of the OIII in this are so faint that I doubt an uncooled DSLR would have gotten anything but noise at the required exposure length. If I shot the OIII again I might even go for a 30min exposure or try ISO1600 to get a little more out of the read noise. I would have to try and see what happens. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1