Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Pollution Teloscopes

Bridget

Skywatcher 10" collapsible dob is suitable in any environment for observing

Have attached pic of mine, which is also easy to transport

With club belong to do public displays, school presentations, space badge scout/guide movement

Also get a right angle spotting scope as not then done on your knees

For aiming dob, just lay a laser pointer along dovetail for spotting scope, and point at object want to observe

Rock up also to your local astronomy club, and members only too happy to show you there equipment

Some clubs also have loan scoped

Happy Viewing

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

As a dobsonian tends to be a bigger aperture/objective there is often mention of them managiing to "show" objects better in an LP environment. To me it seems a bit odd but from experience in one or two situations it may be such. I expect that it is a feature of the operation of the eye and not a feature of the scope.

Ever viewed star at about midday on a bright sunny day? I have. Seemed odd but great fun with a load of people at an open day with a couple of big scopes.

Ultimately however the view will be not so good, simply contrast is lost and again the eye works very much by contrast as well as brightness. Everyone forgets or ignores the functioning of the eye, but in a visual system it is somewhat relevant. However being simple minded a poor view of a galaxy is still a view of a galaxy and better then no view of a galaxy. Don't knock the experience. Observe as kids do, "It's a galaxy!!!" Half will swear bling they can see Andromedians waving back.

If thinking of a scope get one that is easy to use and that you will take out and use. Plan on 3 or 4 eyepieces to be purchased. Have found that it is a good estimate that you will spend about the same on eyepieces as you did on the scope. (< scary :eek::eek: ) 4xParadigms will use up $240.

Not sure if you have this but clubs: http://www.go-astronomy.com/  Bottom left square.

Archived