sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

4 images in one night from a Quattro

Well it was a good night, weather-wise, last night (12-Nov-2017) in this part of Oxfordshire.  Cool (3 degrees) but amazingly dry, really (85%.)  And so, for once, everything wasn't covered in dew by the end of the night.

After an earlier debacle with coma-corrector spacing, I've shaved off a further 0.5mm to try and tweak it a bit better, but I've also (for my sins) started a trial period with PI.  I've so far eschewed this box of tools in favour of simpler, and some home-grown, things.  But I'm interested in finding out more about what so many people use... even if only to understand the PI-speak language a bit better.

As a result of all this, I want to try things out on some smallish datasets, and ended up with:

• Crescent, 12 x 300s (60 min)
  • Pelican, 17 x 300s (85 min)
  • Iris, 12 x 300s (60 min)
  • Horsehead, 6 x 300s (30 min)

Quattro 8" on Avalon M-Uno, QHY8L OSC, captured, guided, and dithered, by Nebulosity, pretty poorly processed in PI (my fault, not its) including bias, darks, and flats.

Some observations about the images:

• Crescent... a difficult RGB target, I've tried but failed to reduce the background stars
  • Pelican... just a bit too big for the frame, but the extra data (more than 60 mins) helps with noise
  • Iris... real problems with the background.  The APS-C sensor is just a bit too big for this scope?
  • Horsehead... my first ever attempt at this.  Pleased to have resolved the Alnitak double. Sad to have framed it so poorly for the Flame.

No doubt the processing is very ham-fisted for my first use of PI, so any C&C is positively encouraged!

Thanks for looking.

20171112_Crescent-Quattro-QHY8L-12x5m.thumb.jpg.2debe6650ad674b678ee3efc2a8513ec.jpg

20171112_Pelican-Quattro-QHY8L-17x5m.thumb.jpg.b793e3de71ee214ce4a85367d6fb4793.jpg

20171112_Iris-Quattro-QHY8L-12x5m.thumb.jpg.7d4902c03f1ee2381634d814d9500e97.jpg

20171112_HH-Quattro-QHY8L-6x5m.thumb.jpg.80d3d6f23b242d647e748b7c3eccf43a.jpg

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Wow, good effort. The astro equivalent of speed dating!

Thanks ,yes I like it like that... used to do EAA at video speeds, then progressed to 15s and even 60s subs.  Currently, 1 hour total is more the norm.  May, one day, be up for even longer-term relationships!

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

So, who are you going to go on a second date with?!

I have a long list! (But I think I need a 2" CLS filter first.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great night's work.  Look at the dust in the Iris.  That's my favourite although it looks like your flat hasn't quite done it's job.  Plenty to be very happy with.  Good luck with PI, it's like Marmite

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, MartinB said:

Look at the dust in the Iris.  That's my favourite although it looks like your flat hasn't quite done it's job. 

Yes indeed.  I used the wrong calibration set, and also forgot to clip the edges after stacking, which caused all sorts of problems. 

Redid darks and flats today and had another go...

20171112_Iris-Quattro-QHY8L-12x5m-C.thumb.jpg.883d71fd7666f563d25e56b26edde9ec.jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      I managed to get some time to process another of my images exposed in January/February 2020.
      This was the last image when my USB port on my Astro40D failed. This happened while imaging this scene but it happened toward the end of the imaging plan so I got almost the subs that I wanted. The total exposure time was 16 hours and 16 minutes in ISO1600 for all of the subs, RGB, (OSC through the UV/IR Cut filter), HAlpha and OIII.
      Imaged through my 8" SCT at f6.3, 1280mm FL.
    • By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By Xiga
      Hi guys
      More Mono testing 😀
      I was able to nab a small amount of Oiii last week to add to the small amount of Ha i'd already captured the week before. I should be getting my very own Atik383l+ in the very near future (yay!), but for now i am still exploring the virtues of Mono imaging using the Qhy9 that Adam @tooth_dr kindly lent me.
      I had balance and guiding issues again this time, despite the fact id' spent a lot of time on trying to get it right. I think after 7 years it may finally be time to get the mount serviced. It has quite a lot of stiction, in both Ra and Dec, which is making getting balance an exercise in pot-luck, so i think a trip to DarkFrame for a Hypertune may be on the cards soon. 
      After losing half the (already short) Nautical Dark that was available, i finally got the guiding working just in time to get 5 subs, all 20 mins long each. The last sub was actually shot in Civil Dark! 😬 
      So in total this is just 100 mins Ha and 100 mins Oiii using 20 min subs (all 2" Baader filters) using a SW 80ED. Stacked in APP and processed in PS with Starnet used for star removal. Combined as OHO due to the lack of any Sii. 
      I tend to like my NB fairly colourful, so this may on the 'over-processed' side of things, especially due to the low amount of data. I'm still learning the ropes of mono imaging so always interested in hearing feedback.
      CS and stay safe folks.

• By knobby
      Hi all, my second attempt at imaging over multiple nights, captured 60 mins Ha and a couple of 5 mins on Oiii and Sii on Christmas evening, then added more Oii and Sii on the 30th
      Total of 60 mins Ha 25 mins Sii and 30 mins Oiii
      Hubble mapped - SII,Ha,OIII = R,G,B. The Oiii data was very noisy but I'm fairly happy overall, also the ZWO Oiii filter caused a massive ring around Alnitak when stretched !

Comments welcome, I know it needs more data and I will need to learn to be more patient but the year is running out  🙂

Thanks for looking and have a good 2020.

• By PembrokeSteve
      Hi, 
      During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
      Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
      Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
      Not the total failure I was expecting.

Image Info:-
      Vixen VC200L Telescope
      Canon 450D camera unmodified
      ISO 1600
      All I could do before fog ended the night:-
      x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
      x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats

Processed in APP 

Regards,
      Steve

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.