Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGP Temperature Compensation

Jonk

I've had a good look on SGL and other places in general, but mostly the answer is 'I don't use it'.

http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/SequenceGeneratorPro.html?TemperatureCompensation.html

Last night I set up to take images on 3 targets as they rose above the obsy and gently moved up to the meridian, as I don't really like meridian flips at the moment as I can't adjust the imbalance if I'm in bed!

I've set SGP to autofocus for every sub (I'm playing with 30 minute subs at the moment) and every 0.5 degree change for other sub lengths / change of target etc.

During 4 x 30 minute subs on the flaming star nebula, I noticed that 1 or 2 of the subs were nowhere near as tight as the other 2. I've had good success in the last few sessions of autofocusing being excellent practically every time, so I can only put this down to rapid temperature drop during the sub.

SGP Temperature Compensation is supposed to address this and automatically adjust the focus point as the temperature changes, even during a sub.

I can get why people are against it, moving anything during a sub is never good, especially on this 'cheap' equipment I have.

My question is, does anyone with SGP use Temperature Compensation and understand it well enough to trust it and have it working exactly as described?

If so, can you share your experience and any pointers please?

I don’t use it.

No seriously, I reckon your dodgy subs are down to poor seeing. The sky has pretended to be clear just recently. Last night was ‘good’, but my all-sky-cam all night time lapse shows very high hazy cloud coming and going. There was a post by John as well about his Tak giving a dodgy view and then being fine later. It’s all down to icy high level wisps.

The other thing is regarding balancing the mount and meridian flips. Why don’t you balance the scope ‘perfectly’ rather than east heavy and then enjoy the delights that flipping can offer? That’s what I have done and last night my guiding was around 0.5” all night with my Edge 8” & Reducer, so a focal length of 1422mm. The subs are perfectly acceptable.

Yes of course conditions are always a factor so it could be that. I'm interested to see if anyone has the compensation working properly, and fully understands it.

The reason I can't balance is because I have too much RA backlash that I can't adjust any further as it binds.

Archived