Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

H-Beta Filter

I have a number of filters for deep sky observing.

I wondered if an H-Beta filter would help me much in my attempts to see The Horse Head.

I am using an Orion Optics eight inch F4.5.The luminosity of The Flame nebula is just barely visible in a Dorset dark sky.

I guess that the answer is that this filter would come into it's own with a larger apature. But very interested to hear about other peoples experiences with visual filters.

It is in circle called the Horses head filter, I actually found the HH with my Astronomik UHC as it was a 2 inch version and being on a cost save at the time only got a 1.25 inch H Beta, the same make, the 2 inch was a lot of money, 200e if I recall. After though i used the H beta with a 24mm Panoptic on my 18 inch scope and I would say it was a tad clearer, but not much. In truth I was not at all impressed with it after spend many hours looking, I can't say I will spend that amount of time bothering to find it again,but will have a look from time to time.  

Alan

I've yet to see any H-Beta targets with my Astronomik H-Beta filter including the Horsehead Neb, with my 12" dob. If you have access to some really dark skies then why not go for it and see what you can do ?

I bought a used 1.25" filter so the investment was not too much but it's yet to deliver much in the way of views :dontknow:

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I wondered if an H-Beta filter would help me much in my attempts to see The Horse Head.

Not half as much as going somewhere properly dark.

Flame needs to be more than "just barely visible" to see the HH. 

Dark sky first, then, if you still cannot see it, get the filter. 

IOW without the dark sky, you have no chance. Without the filter.......It can be seen.

If you decide to pursue nebulae observations using a H-beta filter, consider a 2" perhaps astronomic (there is one listed on ABS). With an ultra wide field eyepiece, your f4.5, 8" reflector and H-beta filter under optimum circumstances could do well to observe the California. You will still only be able to determine a dim grey shape, primarily following along the edge, a H-beta filter is quite specific in purpose and this target will be a good introduction to using this filter type, try it also on M42 / M43. I have largely used mine with my 14" dob, such as attempting to see the Cocoon, I do intend to try and use it with my 3" frac, so no reason why your scope should not warrant it, so long as the sky you are observing under is very dark and transparent. The Horse Head requires commitment and multiple attempts, but it is achievable, when you have grasped how to see it, each time conditions are suitable you will get it, with averted vision.

Finally although the wow factor is definitely not one of its attributes, there really is no OIII filter, Veil nebula moment, it may help to unlock, subtly revealing a select number of highly elusive objects (and not just B33), underwhelming yet purposeful. I consider it integral if seldom used in comparison to an OIII and UHC filter and has a permanent place in my eyepiece case. 

5 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I guess that the answer is that this filter would come into it's own with a larger apature.

I don't find this to be true Martin, the Hb works across all apertures assuming the exit pupil is in the "right" range. ie the California is superb in my refractors.

The luminosity of The Flame nebula is just barely visible in a Dorset dark sky

This could be a problem as it should show structure if wanting an excellent chance to see the HH. Don't let this stop you though, try it and keep trying! Practise on seeing the edge of IC434...

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Hi Jetstream. I have bought the Astronomik Hb filter that was advertised on uk astro. How are the skies up near you then?

Congrats for the purchase of a fine Hb Martin! I sure like my Astronomik Hb thats for sure. The skies can be pretty good here with my best averted vision NELM of 6.8 so far and the SQM goes anywhere from 21.4-21.8 on average.

What eyepiece are you going to use with the Hb in your 8" f4.5?

I have a selection of 82 degree Explore Scientific from 4.7mm to 30mm. I also have a selection of Volcano to Orthoscopics,4mm to 25mm. I have a 22mm Nagler. I shall look forward to experimenting with my new filter collection, having a oxygen filter aswell.

I have a selection of 82 degree Explore Scientific from 4.7mm to 30mm. I also have a selection of Volcano to Orthoscopics,4mm to 25mm. I have a 22mm Nagler. I shall look forward to experimenting with my new filter collection, having a oxygen filter aswell.

Nice set Martin! I know I'd be trying the 22mm Nagler with the OIII and HB on many nebula.

There are very dark skies available in the UK thats for sure and finding them could be a fun thing to do! Scarp15 observes in skies very similar to here and Mike73 had some VG down south there too, then there's Wales... Before moving I would go drive to dark sites 60 miles one way, until I found that its all pretty much dark here. I do miss the trips actually...

Archived