Narrowband

Camera to monitor observatory

AstrodudeOnline

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so if its in the wrong place just let me know :))

I am looking for some advice as to the best option to remotely view my setup in my observatory. I have looked at various security cameras for this purpose but all those that offer night vision come with a big bright infrared light. Given that my imaging rig is sensitive to infrared light to some degree it seems at odds to be installing a camera with a bright infrared light pointing directly at my scope.

I am mainly looking to use the camera feed of my setup when observing to check for issues (cable tangles etc).
I am connecting from a Windows 10 PC to a Windows 10 Pro laptop (at the scope) via WiFi and remote desktop. I would like to avoid running any cables back inside so a WiFi enable camera or a camera that can be connected to the laptop via Ethernet would be helpful (I have run out of USB ports). Power to the camera is available so that shouldn't be an issue and I am not bothered about long term security monitoring/recording.

Any advice is welcome, especially regarding the infrared issue.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the spc900, no good in the pitch black unfortunately plus it used up a resource on the obsy pc, so I got a used dome IP camera and this can be viewed any time from anywhere, even the phone.

The infra red leds do flood the obsy with light which is picked up easily by the cameras, but after a mount move if I'm indoors and want to check it, I only turn the leds on then and back off when it's completed the slew / plate solve. The leds are never on when imaging.

It also acts as a cctv and will record video straight onto a nas if anyone opens the door (burglar).

I paid around £70 for it and it's poe so only needs 1 cable.

The other advantage is it's not limited to a couple of metres.

If I remember, when I get home later I'll post a screenshot of the camera view in the pitch black.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived