Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time autoguiding

dan_19991

My current setup for astrophotography is an eq5 pro mount with a 200p telescope, using a canon 1000d camera, I’ve been looking at what I could upgrade to improve my astrophotos and my top priority is getting a light pollution filter and it in the middle of a city. But next I’m torn, between getting an autoguiding system and getting a new mount (heq5 or neq6 if I could find one used) I recognise I will need both eventually it’s just about which to get first. I’m that respect if I were to get the auto guider first, I would probably have to find a different way of mounting it because of the weight limit, I found a old thread that referenced mounting the autoguiding system to the counterweight bar which would not increase the weight, I see a few problems with this but for the sake of saving the weight I figure it’s a good idea. 

Im not sure what autoguiding kit I would get but I’ve seen that the st80 is highly regarded and probably a Astro ccd around the £150 mark. 

Any advice on which to get first for my setup would be appriciated and what mount and autoguiding system that is advisable. 

Thanks in advance.  

I would go mount first, 

the Heq5 would be better with the 200p than the eq5, but the Neq6 would be even better in my opinion, 

i use the qhy mini guider and qhy5l-ii camera for my guiding set-up on a 130pd-s this is a lot less weight than the st80 set-up but not sure if it would be suitable for the 200p? sure someone else will comment 

Regards

17 minutes ago, JemC said:

I would go mount first, 

the Heq5 would be better with the 200p than the eq5, but the Neq6 would be even better in my opinion, 

i use the qhy mini guider and qhy5l-ii camera for my guiding set-up on a 130pd-s this is a lot less weight than the st80 set-up but not sure if it would be suitable for the 200p? sure someone else will comment 

Regards

thanks for the reply, i know im way over the weight limit for the eq5 hense the upgrade, i was pretty set on getting a NEQ6 but i cannot find any second hand in the uk where as there are quite a few HEQ5 mounts second hand for around the £500 mark where a new NEQ6 is double that, and i cant justify double the price for the extra 5kg its going to give me unless i can find one second hand. 

i was planning on using my finder scope as a guider scope but apparently from what i have researched it is unsuitable as i have the straight finder not a right angles one so the focus point is virtually inside the tube, i also was considering getting a smallr refractor independantly of guiding for wider field shots so that kind of kills two birds with one stone unless there is a better alternative out there (mainly a cheaper one!).  Also the qhy5 or qhy5-II was going to be my choice aswell as they are relatively in expensive and available.

4 minutes ago, dan_19991 said:

i was pretty set on getting a NEQ6 but i cannot find any second hand in the uk

they do come up for sale occasionally, it's just a case of waiting :happy11:, not easy i know,

keep a check on Astrobuysell website as well as on here,

I'm afraid cheaper and astrophotography don't mix very well :happy7: 

is it the 9x50 straight through finder you have? pretty sure they can be used as a guide scope( you would need an adapter though i think, from  FLO if they do them or from here https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/finders/skywatcher-9-x-50-straight-through-finder-bracket/

47 minutes ago, JemC said:

they do come up for sale occasionally, it's just a case of waiting :happy11:, not easy i know,

keep a check on Astrobuysell website as well as on here,

I'm afraid cheaper and astrophotography don't mix very well :happy7: 

is it the 9x50 straight through finder you have? pretty sure they can be used as a guide scope( you would need an adapter though i think, from  FLO if they do them or from here https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/finders/skywatcher-9-x-50-straight-through-finder-bracket/

Oh fair enough it would seem I was wrong, I did find an adapter bracket for the finder scope for a qhy5-oi but in that case my question would be is the qhy5ii a good enough guide camera that it could be used with a larger scope such as a 80mm in the future? 

Also anyone have a rough price of a NEQ6 second hand, I know they will vary but for the HEQ5 it seems to be around the 500-600 pound mark. 

10 minutes ago, dan_19991 said:

Also anyone have a rough price of a NEQ6 second hand,

i paid £600 if i remember right for mine, 

10 minutes ago, dan_19991 said:

would be is the qhy5ii a good enough guide camera that it could be used with a larger scope such as a 80mm in the future? 

i would say yes

I actually started autoguiding using an eq5 pro mount. I was also really pushing the mounts weight limits but I did get some good results. The key things to remember if you try this are...

- Get a very good balance so the mount's motors are under the least amount of stress.

- Be prepared to lose quite a lot of frames because the mount is overweight, don't get mad about this.

I used the EQ5 as a learning tool before upgrading to a bigger mount, quite useful in that respect.

The alternative solution is to downsize the scope for something lighter. I had a 6 inch Mach Best bought sh. It was heavy and could not get focus with my 1100d. I moved it on and bought a used SW ed80 and have not regretted it. Then an heq5 would be perfect. Good luck.

Graham

My plan was initially to get a st80 which I could use with the eq5 until I could find a NEQ6 at a decent price then it would become a guide scope, but I think having only had my imaging setup finally working for a month, buying a ccd like qhy5ii and using it as a finder guider for now until I get a NEQ6 is the route I’m leaning towards. Especially having seen a blog by Astro castro I believe it is, that had a very similar setup and got astounding results. 

Archived