Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

When I look through my polarscope and rotate the RA arm, the cross hairs stay in the same place but the image itself moves.  Is this a problem? 

I have tightened everything. 

Can you explain why the image moves?  Is there another adjustment I need to do?

Thank you,

Gerard

sorry didn't explain it clearly.

I did adjust the polarscope so that the cross hairs stay on the same spot of an object when the RA arm is rotated.  However the object itself seems to moves when the RA arm is moved.

I would have thought the object I am looking at wouldn't move.

That sort of reads that the polar scope is not collimated to the mechanical axis of the insert that it fits into. So you rotate the RA and the object appears to rotate. Not sure how to get a polar scope out, have one but never attempted.

Would half expect some adjustment, but that depends on how good the machining is/was. In effect you have the reticule collimated to the poalr scope and then the poalr scope collimated to the RA axis. Quick look at mine and I cannot see anything to adjust the polar scope alignment but you are talking of 2 or 3 minutes and no idea what I was doing or actually looking for.

Anything on Astro Baby's site ? Tends to be a good source of mount set up and alignment information. Which reminds me I much go get information from there myself.

One other thing (me being thick I suspect) but the title is "Mr", what is "Mr" ?

Edited by ronin

Do you mean the "images" etched on the glass of the polar scope rotate, rather than the stars?

If so, that is supposed to happen. It is so that you can rotate the mount/ polar scope in the RA axis to position the circle in the correct position, relative to the respective time and date, to then make adjustment to the altitude and Azimuth of the mount to center Polaris in the circle and thereby polar align your mount.

Sorry if that is not what you were referring to.

Edited by Uplooker

Thank you for your answers. 

The title is "Mr" as I am new to the site and thought that they were asking my title as in  Mr/Mrs/Miss. 

It was actually a chimney that I was using to calibrate my polarscope and that is what moved as the RA arm was moved. 

The explanation that the polarscope is not aligned mechanically to the axis of the insert seems likely.  This would result in the polarscope not rotating about its own axis as the RA arm is moved.   The question is:  does it matter?  

I will be trying to answer my own question.  Grateful for any thoughts. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hello
      I am really worried that I may have broken my new telescope.  
      It said it was going to be 100% clear tonight, so I prepped Celeste Bubble, my new 8" Celestron Evolution, and took her outside for her first light. 
      Within an hour it was 100% cloud  cover 
      Within that hour, mutiple attempts at aligning my scope failed. I was using a smart phone and the SkyPortal app with Star Sense. I had the Star Sense HC completely unplugged, btw. A few people advised me to do that to try and help ensure it wouldn't affect m using the Sky Portal app. I am not so worried about the alignment failing. 
      What I am worried about is that during one of my failed alignments, the scope ended up trying to plate solve my house. So, being the lazy cow that I am, rather than pick up the telescope and move it to face clear sky, I simply loosened the azimuth clutch and spun it around 180 degrees.
      After I did that, the scope would not track anymore. I could hear the motors turning (or doing something) but whatever I had in my eyepiece was moving out of view. It was tracking OK before this - I manually (clutches) aligned to Jupiter so as to at least see something and it was tracking Jupiter fine. 
      I checked the scope settings on my phone and it was set to track Sidereal, it hadn't been switched off by accident.
      I tried another alignment which failed and that's when I spun the mount around 180 using the azimuth clutch.
      Do You think I have broken something? Have you heard of this before? Is there some sort of reset or something I can do? 
      What a disaster of an evening.
      Thanks for any help or advice you can give me

Siouxsie 
    • By theeruditefrog
      I'm on an EQ3 and I have had trouble calibrating it.
      I'm trying to calibrate the reticule but ....
      It seems that barrel of the polarscope is off axis in the tube  - it sort of moves the whole image around, as if you were swirling a pair of  binoculars around.
      Maybe I can make a video.
      Is it time for me to buy a fresh one that I didn't meddle with?
      The outcome is that I can only shoot 20second images before the stars elongate.
      polar-align-problem.mp4
    • By dunners19871
      Hi all,
      I am hoping someone might be able to help with a possible way to shoot dark and bias frames on a DSLR (canon 700D) without the need to cover the scope  or camera, ideally using APT scripts 

My thinking is that the camera, has a noise reduction mode where it will take the light shot, then with the shutter closed it will take a dark frame and subtract it from the light. So could you take a series of dark frames on ATP and lock the shutter down?

If anyone knows I would love to know. Would be great to automate the lights, park the scope and have it run darks and bias, without the need to go out to it and cap up at 3.-4 in the morn 

Thanks 

Matt 

@astro_pics_uk
    • By BrendanC
      I know, I know, this has been discussed endlessly here and elsewhere, but I've read lots and watched lots and some of it I understood and some of it I didn't. A lot of it I didn't, actually, mainly because every time I think I get it, someone else contradicts what I think I've 'got'.
      I've reduced it all to this, regardless of the number of lights I take, assuming I'm using a DSLR, with all the below steps at the same ISO value as the shoot:
      ANY TIME
      Bias - 50 frames with the cap on, exposure time=shortest
      DURING SHOOT
      Darks - 50 with the cap on, exposure=as per shoot
      Dark Flats - 25 with the cap on, exposure=AV mode
      Flats - 25 with the cap off, diffuse white frames eg t-shirt with light behind it or morning sun, exposure=AV mode
      I know everyone has their own take on this (which is kind of my problem understanding it) but, reducing this to the very, very, very basics, as a starting point for a total noob with calibration... would this work?
    • By oyabuns
      I own a polarscope from FLO for a couple of months now, however I have never been able to get a correct polar alignment.
      When I screw in the polarscope in the mount completely then the 3 angle is at the top (see picture). 
      However with this polaris keeps moving out of the circle when I polar align it. (Polar alignment seems not to work)
      When I loosen it I can get the reticule to 0, however the polarscope is very loosely in the mount.
      How to best get the polarscope correctly into the mount and get an accurate polar alignment. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.