Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jschusterman

New OS10 High Sierra and AP software. Upgrade issues?

Has anyone upgraded on Mac to "High Sierra" (OS 10.13) and had any issues with PHD2 or using Wine to run DSS, or any camera control software? I'm getting the notifications for the upgrade, but I'm worried some of my AP software (currently running on 10.12) won't work right before a big trip to a dark sky site in 2 weeks.

I use a windows VM for astro but do have Wine & other camera control apps running natively in 10.13 - all were unaffected by the upgrade.

Might give it a go, my MBP hasn't been the same since El Capitan arrived :hmh:

Dave

I switched away from using OSX for astro, simply because they kept changing the USB model.. causing things to break every release.

They did finally fix the USB Model but for years it was plagued with isochronous errors due to how hardware manufacturers were referencing libusb - they finally nailed it early on in Sierra and it's been fine ever since.

Dedicated laptop really isn't necessary - Windows 7 running as a virtual machine runs everything perfectly. I run 2x win VMs simultaneously, one controlling my EOS1000D / 200P / NEQ6 / QHY5, the other controlling EOS650D / Nexstar LCM / TS70 / SPC900. They both talk back to SkySafari back in MacOS, which in turn talks to SkySafari on my phone & iPad.

• Like 1

I have upgraded to HS.. the install was 'interesting' with multiple restarts to get the thing operational..

I use a Odroid C2 for everything - why? because I find not have the mac available.. a pain in the behind lol!

I do like the programming in OSX though.

Just an update for you guys... I did finally do the high sierra update and... DeepSkyStacker (run with Wine because it's on a Mac) can't seem to turn out a proper stack. Dammit! I even tried the newer 3.3.4 update, which at least allowed it to import the raw pictures properly. 

Good news is PHD2 still seams to work fine.

Haven't had a chance to actual run a polar alignment with my polemaster since the update, but just checked now and the program opens fine. Seems to be ok.

• Like 1

Ok, I figured out how to get DeepSkyStacker working properly again with High Sierra and figured I'd post in case anyone else has a problem.

You need to download the newest beta version of Wine (2.22), as well as its installer, and Wine Developer. I also had to download XQuartz 2.7.11 in order for one of these to run properly, although I don't remember which one. I'd post links, but we all know have of the URLs will likely be changed within months. So here's a snap shot of the files I needed.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 2.07.58 PM.png

On 29/11/2017 at 16:40, jschusterman said:

Haven't had a chance to actual run a polar alignment with my polemaster since the update, but just checked now and the program opens fine. Seems to be ok.

Thanks John, mine installs and runs but crashes when doing the rotate to align stars bit.

On 12/2/2017 at 16:33, knobby said:

Thanks John, mine installs and runs but crashes when doing the rotate to align stars bit.

Uh oh, that's not good. The weather isn't cooperating here in the northeast U.S., so it's probably gonna be a couple weeks before I can really test it out. :-/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TakMan
      A big thanks to PhotoGav who posted some simple to follow instructions on how to use the stand-a-lone software earlier in his M27 thread.
      I'll post again, but add that any file names must NOT include spaces. You can instead use a '_'.
      If (as I do do), you embed your RGB files with a colour profile upon saving, that appears to be fine.

How to get the standalone Starnet version to work on the Mac
      1. Download the latest version of Starnet for Mac OS from here:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/v1.1/StarNet_MacOS.zip/download
      2. Unzip the folder and place it on your Desktop
      3. Save the image that you want to make starless as a 16 bit mono or RGB .tif file

*****DO NOT use spaces in file name, instead use _
      4. Place the file in the Starnet folder on your desktop
      5. Open Terminal and navigate to the Starnet folder, copy this command:
      cd ~/Desktop/StarNet_MacOS           - into Terminal and hitting Enter
      6. Open in Text Editor either the file:
      'run_mono_starnet.sh'
      or
      'run_rgb_starnet.sh'
      depending on whether you are working with a mono or RGB file and edit the filenames in there to be the filename of the file that you want to make starless
      Save the txt file above in part 6, then....

7. Drag either 'run_mono_starnet.sh' or 'run_rgb_starnet.sh' onto the Terminal window and you should see the path of the the file appear
      8. Make sure that Terminal is the uppermost window and hit enter - Program will run (this can take a while!)
      9. When it's finished doing its magic, go to the Starnet folder, open up the _s version of your file and be amazed at the results!

I am (amazed), thanks again Gav for posting!
      Some examples from playing around late this afternoon... the starless colour and mono images straight out of StarNet, no extra processing.
      I still prefer my images with an embedded star field, but this should be great fun and be rather useful whilst processing...
      Damian

The Ha data

• By BUDA
      Hi All!

I have guiding problem with the following guider setup: 9x50 finder + ZWO ASI 120mm mini + PHD2.
      The imaging scope is a 6' newtonian + canon dslr on a HEQ5, driven by a laptop via diy EQDIR cable.
      When the mount is set up and running correctly, polar aligned and all... I connect the guider camera
      and mount with phd2. All nice and easy, I run a calibration, then it starts to guide. All seems ok.

Then I am starting to take pictures. The first seems OK, then the second have the star trails...
      I check phd2 and there is a message: the camera (ASI) did not take a picture for "xy" seconds so it is disconnected.
      Grrr.... I reconnect try to set up a longer period for "xy" in the settings as mentioned in the message.
      And all the same again and again. Whatever I add for connection timeout for the camera, it just reaches that
      and disconnect the camera.
      PHD + philips toucam has worked for me flowlessly. I changed to PHD2 because I gave myself a birthday present,
      the little ZWO camera. (and PHD did not recognize it)
      Do you have any idea what can be the problem? I will contact PHD2 help also, but maybe somebody had already
      the same problem and figured out how to overcome. I am almost sure I make some dumb mistake in the PHD2
      software settings, however I tried to change only what was needed.
    • By Tom Shinal
      Can Nebulosity and Ph.D operate simultaneously and share a single camera. Running Win 10.

• By Forunke
      Ok, so this is a really annoying bug / problem that I have with my setup:
      From time to time, in non regular intervals the image my guiding cam (ZWO ASI120) send seems to get flipped / mirrored or looks like it's from a completely different patch of sky.
      When I'm paying attention to the guide images I can clearly see that the image seems to be flipped in some way.
      It only happens for 1 frame PHD send a warning ( No star found / Star lost Mass changed) and after that everything is fine again. My gear is all connected to a single USB3 Hub which then runs via powered USB3 cable to my Pc.
      I'm not binning and have the noise reduction off (though PHD might got hickups while processing) but it still happens. Sometimes there are minutes between two events sometimes it happens 5 times in a row.
      It also seems like it's only happening during guiding, I haven't seen it happen during calibration yet...

I'm completely clueless what's happening or how to get rid of it, any help / idea is greatly appreciated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.