Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New OS10 High Sierra and AP software. Upgrade issues?

jschusterman

Has anyone upgraded on Mac to "High Sierra" (OS 10.13) and had any issues with PHD2 or using Wine to run DSS, or any camera control software? I'm getting the notifications for the upgrade, but I'm worried some of my AP software (currently running on 10.12) won't work right before a big trip to a dark sky site in 2 weeks.

They did finally fix the USB Model but for years it was plagued with isochronous errors due to how hardware manufacturers were referencing libusb - they finally nailed it early on in Sierra and it's been fine ever since.

Dedicated laptop really isn't necessary - Windows 7 running as a virtual machine runs everything perfectly. I run 2x win VMs simultaneously, one controlling my EOS1000D / 200P / NEQ6 / QHY5, the other controlling EOS650D / Nexstar LCM / TS70 / SPC900. They both talk back to SkySafari back in MacOS, which in turn talks to SkySafari on my phone & iPad.

I have upgraded to HS.. the install was 'interesting' with multiple restarts to get the thing operational..

I use a Odroid C2 for everything - why? because I find not have the mac available.. a pain in the behind lol!

I do like the programming in OSX though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for you guys... I did finally do the high sierra update and... DeepSkyStacker (run with Wine because it's on a Mac) can't seem to turn out a proper stack. Dammit! I even tried the newer 3.3.4 update, which at least allowed it to import the raw pictures properly. 

Good news is PHD2 still seams to work fine.

Ok, I figured out how to get DeepSkyStacker working properly again with High Sierra and figured I'd post in case anyone else has a problem.

You need to download the newest beta version of Wine (2.22), as well as its installer, and Wine Developer. I also had to download XQuartz 2.7.11 in order for one of these to run properly, although I don't remember which one. I'd post links, but we all know have of the URLs will likely be changed within months. So here's a snap shot of the files I needed.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 2.07.58 PM.png

On 29/11/2017 at 16:40, jschusterman said:

Haven't had a chance to actual run a polar alignment with my polemaster since the update, but just checked now and the program opens fine. Seems to be ok.

Thanks John, mine installs and runs but crashes when doing the rotate to align stars bit.

On 12/2/2017 at 16:33, knobby said:

Thanks John, mine installs and runs but crashes when doing the rotate to align stars bit.

Uh oh, that's not good. The weather isn't cooperating here in the northeast U.S., so it's probably gonna be a couple weeks before I can really test it out. :-/

Archived