Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hi All, wondered if you could help me make sense of this ... new HEQ5 - belt modded by FLO, all feels good, minuscule backlash but strange guiding.
Admittedly first time using it but baffled.
Failed calibration see image below and guiding seemed to be Ra and Dec following each other.
Stars look ok ish (@ 1500 mm )
Needle galaxy is poor as only about 10 mins each in RGB
note - it was hazy and did keep losing star in OAG
Thanks for looking
Dear Avalon Enthusiasts,
Do you have PHD2 Guiding Logs that you could share? Preferably at least 30 minutes long.
I am curious about the contribution to the overall error from the individual parts of the belt reduction gear. PHD2 Log Viewer provides nice analysis capabilities for that. I am especially interested in the frequency analysis.
Background is that I have built a motion module that uses a timing belt gear reduction quite similar to the Avalon mounts. Performance is quite good already, but I would like to compare it to the "real thing". 😃
Picked up a Basler acA1920-155um a week or so ago second hand. Currently using Basler's own 'industry' software which doesn't offer any movie save out function, so I'm working with individual .tif files... thousands of 'em! (Hopefully James will be able to support the camera with OACapture on the Mac in the future)...
TSA102s > Internal Baader UV/IR > Chromo Quark > Camera (so no reducer than previous goes with the DMK41). Running around 80fps which makes a nice change from just 15! All on my less than perfect tracking alt/az Nova Hitch mount.
First image was from the 'first light' images off the camera at 8.41 this morning, 100 frames from 1400+, second 150 frames from 1660. Unlike OACapture, the software isn't overly straightforward, so I'm not quite sure what gain and gamma settings were best to use, I just tried to keep the gain low (12 from 36), gamma set to 1 (I think it goes from 0 - 4) and 10-12ms exposure. The histogram roughly in the middle... no helpful .txt file saved out with the capture, unlike OAc...
Processed in AS!2 and ImPPG (via Wine - Mac) and the PS 2017CC
Pleased so far but plenty to learn!
A big thanks to PhotoGav who posted some simple to follow instructions on how to use the stand-a-lone software earlier in his M27 thread.
I'll post again, but add that any file names must NOT include spaces. You can instead use a '_'.
If (as I do do), you embed your RGB files with a colour profile upon saving, that appears to be fine.
How to get the standalone Starnet version to work on the Mac
1. Download the latest version of Starnet for Mac OS from here:
2. Unzip the folder and place it on your Desktop
3. Save the image that you want to make starless as a 16 bit mono or RGB .tif file
*****DO NOT use spaces in file name, instead use _
4. Place the file in the Starnet folder on your desktop
5. Open Terminal and navigate to the Starnet folder, copy this command:
cd ~/Desktop/StarNet_MacOS - into Terminal and hitting Enter
6. Open in Text Editor either the file:
depending on whether you are working with a mono or RGB file and edit the filenames in there to be the filename of the file that you want to make starless
Save the txt file above in part 6, then....
7. Drag either 'run_mono_starnet.sh' or 'run_rgb_starnet.sh' onto the Terminal window and you should see the path of the the file appear
8. Make sure that Terminal is the uppermost window and hit enter - Program will run (this can take a while!)
9. When it's finished doing its magic, go to the Starnet folder, open up the _s version of your file and be amazed at the results!
I am (amazed), thanks again Gav for posting!
Some examples from playing around late this afternoon... the starless colour and mono images straight out of StarNet, no extra processing.
I still prefer my images with an embedded star field, but this should be great fun and be rather useful whilst processing...
The Ha data