Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

yelsac

Eye Astigmatism help?

On 11/28/2017 at 08:24, coatesg said:

I have never gotten on with either make: I just couldn't get close enough, and so just pop glasses off when observing, but I guess my astigmatism is fairly mild compared to others. :dontknow:

I have astigmatism in both eyes, not sure just how much but I know my vision isn't terrible.  I just got a telescope last August, and started viewing with my glasses on.  I found it was not nearly as comfortable and I had trouble getting close enough to some EPs.  I then began viewing with my glasses off, and not only is it more comfortable, but I am not noticing any ill effects in terms of the image I see.  I think my astigmatism must be mild too, or else I'm just too new to this whole thing to know any better :p 

10 hours ago, Hayduke27 said:

I have astigmatism in both eyes, not sure just how much but I know my vision isn't terrible.

I'm due for an eye test this Saturday, so hopefully no changes in my prescription, but age does come with complications, I'll just have to wait and see.

But like yourself, I just feel most comfortable without glasses when using the scope, however, just this weekend, I found looking up at the dome in a Planetarium required the use of glasses to get a sharper image. We'll just have to live with it, do what feels right, looks right.

I have a Tiny astigmatism in my left eye. I wear glasses 24/7. I've never worn glasses when observing. I observe through scopes with my right eye anyway. I very often observe with bins and never noticed any issue with my left eye. 

I have considerable astigmatism in both eyes.  I've tried observing but can't focus without glasses and with glasses I can't get close enough or comfortable, so observing is not for me.  OTOH I have always been interested in photography so I do astro imaging.  It's a complicated business though.

2 hours ago, Charic said:

I'm due for an eye test this Saturday, so hopefully no changes in my prescription, but age does come with complications, I'll just have to wait and see.

But like yourself, I just feel most comfortable without glasses when using the scope, however, just this weekend, I found looking up at the dome in a Planetarium required the use of glasses to get a sharper image. We'll just have to live with it, do what feels right, looks right.

I need to get an eye test, it's been a while.  I certainly need glasses to observe anything at all without the scope (even during the day, my far sight is poor).  I am glad that it hasn't given me much trouble through the EP.

Well I had a test today and my astigmatism has changed somewhat.  R  Cyl is down -0.50 from -1.00 and L is up -1.00 from -0.50. 
I have also been advised to try vari-focals again, rather than just wear my single vision glasses for driving, and after consultation, was informed my vision is now 120 ?

Back at home now, and not sure what this really means, as I thought good vision meant something like 20/20!

Got to wait two weeks before the new glasses arrive,  and when conditions allow, try them at the scope, but will probably still observe without them at the telescope.

Edited by Charic

Thought it was hindsight that was 20/20 ;)

If the lenses are expensive you don't want to scratch them on short eye relief eps. 

Depending on make & range, focus zones can be wider & deeper. On my 3rd, most expensive, varis. Finally best so far. 2 weeks is a long wait, might be due to Christmas. 

9 hours ago, Charic said:

Well I had a test today and my astigmatism has changed somewhat.  R  Cyl is down -0.50 from -1.00 and L is up -1.00 from -0.50. 
I have also been advised to try vari-focals again, rather than just wear my single vision glasses for driving, and after consultation, was informed my vision is now 120 ?

Back at home now, and not sure what this really means, as I thought good vision meant something like 20/20!

Got to wait two weeks before the new glasses arrive,  and when conditions allow, try them at the scope, but will probably still observe without them at the telescope.

I get by with single vision for driving because I don't need to look that closely at my dashboard normally, just the road.  That, and they have magnetic sunglass clip-ons for cutting down the intense Texas sun.

I bought a low cost, but still very good optically, pair of single vision glasses for astro use that I won't worry about scratching at the eyepiece.  A second advantage I've discovered is that they don't accumulate pits and micro scratches from the hazards of daily wear, so they don't introduce scatter like my daily wearers.

I've been wearing lined bifocals for about 6 years now.  I keep the near vision portion set lower than normal to keep them out of my distance vision, and I have them set for about 18 inches to 2 feet so I can use them at the computer in a pinch when I don't have my computer glasses handy and to avoid completely blurring out the ground when walking or taking the stairs.  I have another set of dedicated low cost online glasses for reading set for about 8 inches to a foot.  Because I tend to read menus and magazines while they lay on a table, the near vision portion of my bifocals are good enough most times when I'm out and about.  It also makes reading grocery shelves simpler.  I only pull on the readers if I'm going to be doing serious reading up close for a long time at home or when using a laptop on a table.

• Like 1

I like e-readers because I can make the text big & bold. Kindle is my friend & Kindle app. I am considering a big tablet for the latter. 

Star Atlases & maps present challenges, but can be scanned if needed. My Sarna Deep Sky Atlas & Uranometria are best for at-a-glance size-wise. Then Samsung tablet for Redshift app. 

1 hour ago, timwetherell said:

One option for astigmatism are the Dipotrix correctors Televue make. It may not be an economical way to go if there's sufficient eye relief to observe with glasses but if you're struggling getting in close enough, may be an option :) 

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=54

But they require a fair amount of eye relief on the attached eyepiece for them to work (15mm seems recommended).  Also, you can't look up at the sky without putting your glasses back on.  They also only fit or can be adapted to a limited number of eyepieces.  The main advantage I see to them is their use of optical grade glass like that used in eyepieces.  Reports indicate that they add no aberrations to the image, unlike polycarbonate eyeglass lenses which tend to spread light coming from off axis into red/blue components.  I have to tilt my whole head to look at the edge to avoid this affect while wearing glasses to keep the light rays coming through the center of my glasses.

There are better lightweight plastic lenses than polycarbonate ones now. Mine which are by Essilor have way better optical quality than the polys I used to wear. 

The TV dioptrix lenses may not correct astigmatism if it's complex, same as off-the-rack reading glasses. 

22 hours ago, timwetherell said:

One option for astigmatism are the Dipotrix correctors Televue make.

One of the reasons I bought three Delos EPs, but for the present, they were no better for me than my Starguiders, so I sold them.
Who knows, only time will tell, but a little further experimentation is envisaged with the new glasses.

• Like 1