Narrowband

Venus jupiter conjunction... 12/11/17

Fozzie

Ive seen this mentioned online a couple of times.. didn't think it would be viable from the uk.. am I right or wrong.. even my face book is telling me to get up early tomorrow and look east..

Whats the scoop here?

Screenshot_20171111-132502.thumb.png.e1c6d006963634cea4b8f515a73a6de8.png

Ta

fozzie 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends how low and obstacle free that South Eastern horizon is ?    Later than 6:30, then you get the altitude but not the contrast as the sky brightens by the second.  Earlier than 6:30 then you have nature  and/or urban 'furniture' to contend with.

Go early and then you have the best of both worlds ...... ( pun intended).

Sean.

1 minute ago, andrew63 said:

About 6.30 the sky had 'some' darkness and they stood out well. In the space of 10 to 15min it had got noticeably lighter. The earlier the better Stu !

andrew

Thanks Andrew! I guess too early though and they are too low? I'll try for 6am!

Just now, Craney said:

Depends how low and obstacle free that South Eastern horizon is ?    Later than 6:30, then you get the altitude but not the contrast as the sky brightens by the second.  Earlier than 6:30 then you have nature  and/or urban 'furniture' to contend with.

Go early and then you have the best of both worlds ...... ( pun intended).

Sean.

Thanks Sean. As you say, best to be ready early and then won't miss anything. Forecast looks good at the moment so fingers crossed. Going to try with the scope.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ooops!

Aye.....   light from the Planets is delayed a few seconds into the past, that bit I can deal with.   I would love to be able photograph 5 days into the future... ;)

Would have to trust the 5-day forecast though..... hmmm??.... not going to happen...

Lovely dawn morning, and looking good - although to the naked eye Jupiter is a bit overwhelmed !

Fine sight in binoculars -  it's also wonderful to see flocks of birds drifting through the frame as the go about their daily routines.

andrew

Got myself up early and out for this before work... must have looked a site, stood in a layby looking down the valley in a suit and beany hat.. Frosty this morning.

These two are so low down that the image wont toake much, looked lovely in a 32mm Ep and 72mm Frac..

Quick snap as the dawn encroached. (thought I was focused better than that, but it was boiling all over the place!)

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.4f8cc26816017ad03aaa2280a97ad815.JPG

Ta

Fozzie

On 12/11/2017 at 09:19, andrew63 said:

I will be expecting an iPhone image Stu !

andrew

I'm afraid my various challenges (read 'senior moments!') meant an iPhone image opportunity was lost :(. My humble apologies ;) 

3 hours ago, DiamondSmiles said:

Taken at Langstone Harbour overlooking Hayling Island UK

rsz__dsc3367.jpg

That's a keeper!

I like the way the isolated lights resonate with the planets.

I had a marathon imaging session last night 8pm to 4am on seven targets (I'm limited to ~90 minutes on many targets if I put the scope on the patio rather than the grass) so I'm afraid I slept through the spectacle.

Archived