Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Squid,Bubble and Friends with Bubble Insert

Psychobilly

Hi John,

The imaging scope is only a 66mm Refractor ( A Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 Pro) fitted with a William Optics Field Flattner III (0,8x) so its effectively a 320mm f4.8 system on a modded 350D - Filter on the front of the CCD removed.

The UV/IR and LP filtering is taken care of by a Hutech IDAS P2 this lots mounted on top of a CPC800XLT on a fixed Pier and Wedge in the Observatory which is used as the guidescope at f6.3 with a DSI IIC.

This setup allows me to take exposures of up to 600s - tracking is probably good for longer than that but the camera isn't. My normal sub is 360s @ ISO800 which seems to be a sweet spot for the modded 350D.

I then take a a minimum of 2 hours exposure which with the inter sub delay takes around 2.5-3hours.

Planning the nights session usually allows me to do 3 targets a night and sometimes I'll do a quickie on a brighter object or a quicklook at other prospective targets.

Billy...

Thanks Gordon :smiley:

I find these widefields in the milky way quite a challenge when it comes to processing as its easy for the sheer number of stars to overwhelm the nebs...

I have found a couple, of useful plug-ins for star reduction - that work slightly differently to the the one in Noels Actions..

I stay with it most of the time ... I have to manualy slew the dome but makign the power oadpator for the camera makes life easier.. i probably manage to micro nap about 10 mins every hour... and ocassionally get 30 mins kip ...

The fishing "bank" chair fits nicely in the obs with a little stool for me feet...i crawl into my 4 season sleeping bag an keep an eye on the guiding whilst browsing the star charts for the next target... i have alarms set for every hour incase i sucumb and drift off into sleep. Occasionaly i'll pop into the house to check the data and do the roughs... which are the 3am and 4 am posts hehe

Billy...

Archived