SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory entrance lighting

michaelmorris

The parked position for my new EQ8 mount has to be horizontal so that the observatory roll off roof will close.  This was pretty easy to set up in EQMOD. However, it left me with a problem, namely that I was in severe risk of knocking my teeth out or destroying my Adam's apple if I forgot that the end of the counterweight bar now pointed directly at the observatory door.  To reduce this risk I've taken two measures.

1 - I've stuck a tennis ball with foam padding in it over the end of the counterweight bar

2 - I've just installed a PIR-triggered LED light above the door.  This set up consists of a 12v PIR switch (£3.96) and a single short waterproof strip of red LEDs (£2.99 for 4). The system will eventually be powered by a cheap 12v transformer (£4.49).  All items bought on Fleabay. 

The PIR switch is mounted on the side of pier facing the door and the LED strip is mounted in a length of cable ducting above the door. The two are connected by some cheap speaker cable I had hanging around.   The PIR detector works a treat, it switches on the red light the second the door is open and turns off after 60 seconds.

I originally had the LEDs mounted flush on the wall pointing horizontally.  However, I quickly realised that if I accidentally left the power to this system on during an imaging session I would possibly ruin subs every time I went in or out of the observatory.  I have now mounted the lights pointing down inside some butchered cable conduit and this looks far less likely to cause a problem.

Thanks go to 'Astrognome' for the inspiration for some elements of this design. :icon_salut:

IMG_20171110_133035465_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171110_132938163.jpg

tennisball.jpg

Archived