Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop CS4 opening TIFF and RAM message

adder001

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me with this one as I am a bit puzzled. I have Photoshop CS2 installed on my windows 10 pc and had no problems with it.

It happily opens autosave.tiff files that deep sky stacker has created with no issues whatsoever.

However I have since got a copy of photoshop CS4 and I thought great, a newer better version. I installed it without any issues but when I try and open my autosave.tiff file that CS2 opens I get the message, Could not complete your request because there is not enough Ram.

Now considering that CS2 opens it without issue and that my pc is a HP250 with an Intel core i7 quad core processor with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 with a 2TB hard drive I know that it is not underpowered, also On another Pc the same thing happens.

I have tried altering the preferences tab to increase the performance setting regarding Ram useage and scratch discs etc but no joy.

Is it just the fact that CS4 will not open these types of files whereas the older version will. If that is the case then I will just use CS2 but it does seem strange that an upgrade gives less usage.

Has anybody else encountered this and if so how did you get round it.

Thanks in advance

A couple of things to check. Are you saving the DSS tiff in 16 bit or 32 bit ? CS2 would probably try to convert a 32 bit tiff to 16 bit before opening it. (I think CS2 couldn't work in 32 bit, long time since I used it) . What graphics card does the computer have ? A quick google suggests the HP250 uses integrated graphics, which probably means that the ram is shared between the processing and displaying graphics.

Could be a combination of Win10 and CS4, I've had similar problems with CS4 and a new high spec Win10 laptop.

Also get complaints about lack of resources and it takes longer to load images than CS4 on my old Win XP Pro, not found a solution yet :hmh:

Dave

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Are you saving the DSS tiff in 16 bit or 32 bit ? CS2 would probably try to convert a 32 bit tiff to 16 bit before opening it. (I think CS2 couldn't work in 32 bit, long time since I used it) . What graphics card does the computer have ? A quick google suggests the HP250 uses integrated graphics, which probably means that the ram is shared between the processing and displaying graphics.

Thanks for that. I think that you might be right there. I think that I just left the settings as they were in DSS and it must have been set to 32bit or something but I cant quite remember. Anyway I loaded up the file in DSS again and this time made sure that I saved it as 16bit and this time it does load into photoshop cs4.

It is weird though that cs2 does load it even if it converts it and when you select Mode it does show as 32bit, you would think that cs4 would inform us of this rather than just error.

Also yes the HP250 does have integrated graphics so I think the is a RAM share going on.

cheers

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Could be a combination of Win10 and CS4, I've had similar problems with CS4 and a new high spec Win10 laptop.

Also get complaints about lack of resources and it takes longer to load images than CS4 on my old Win XP Pro, not found a solution yet :hmh:

Dave

I think that I will leave both versions installed just in case I have any other issues. Thanks

21 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Best thing I did with (admittedly older) pc is install a dedicated graphics card with its own GBs of ram

Yes that definitely makes a massive difference in all kinds of areas and not just image processing. I had an old tower pc ages ago and by putting a really good graphics card in it made a massive difference to everything from gaming to processing.

I wouldnt want to do that in this case though as my laptop is very new so I dont want to mess with it.

Thanks

Archived