Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Real Go At Orion & Pleiades

daveangie0110

13 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

I'm constantly  surprised at how 'big' astrophography objects are. It's about capturing light, rather than magnification, isn't it?

What I mean is, for years I thought deep-space objects like nebula were only findable in telescopes. Then I saw an illustration of te size of the Andromeda galaxy compared to the moon, and it really amazed me. The same with the picture of Orion by the OP. Look at all the stuff that's there, stretching across the sky.. that we can't see!

You're right - a lot of people think big telescopes magnify the view more, which is not strictly true.

Bigger telescopes collect more light as you say (think of a bucket in the rain, a larger bucket will catch more water than a smaller one).

Another thing a lot of people don't realise as although to our eyes space is black and dark, given the correct filter and large enough scope in theory there's something to see everywhere you point.

Take the Hubble Deep Field as an example - for years it was assumed to be an empty space with nothing in it - then look what happened!

4 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

What might be regarded as a 'humble' set up can really deliver! They're lovely images Dave; I particularly like the 'smoke' in the M45 pic and the point-like stars in M42. Those Samyangs certainly perform well - was it wide open?

Ian

Thankyou, both shots where at F3.2

27 minutes ago, daveangie0110 said:

Hi Jonk, i took both of these images on Hayling island.

Ah I see - is it fairly dark where you are? I'm on the east coast of Portsmouth and looking over to Hayling it does appear significantly darker than where I am.

On 11/10/2017 at 15:02, Jonk said:

Ah I see - is it fairly dark where you are? I'm on the east coast of Portsmouth and looking over to Hayling it does appear significantly darker than where I am.

Hi Jonk,

I live near the Navy base (Rudmore Roundabout), and i drive to hayling island to do my imaging or i go to butser farm with Hantsastro.

Well, you can't get much worse LP than over there!

Do you venture up to Old Winchester Hill much? That's one of the best places close to home that I've found. The BBC have also been caught up there!

I've looked at Hants Astro before but haven't decided if it's worth joining as there seems to be restrictions on access to the site up at Butser, and isn't an 'as and when' place.

19 hours ago, Jonk said:

Well, you can't get much worse LP than over there!

Do you venture up to Old Winchester Hill much? That's one of the best places close to home that I've found. The BBC have also been caught up there!

I've looked at Hants Astro before but haven't decided if it's worth joining as there seems to be restrictions on access to the site up at Butser, and isn't an 'as and when' place.

I have been to old Winchester hill, but during the day, i will have to give it a go, Hantsastro is not bad, they use Butser ancient farm (not Butser Hill) they use there car park and have use of the toilets which is always handy.

• 3 weeks later...

Great images well done! I have the same kit as you (minus the samyang) instead a not so good Canon 135mm lens. These are my two targets for this winter. I would be a hapoy chap if my results were half as good, however my dark site is pitch black being in mid-wales, so fingers crossed. 

Regards to your exposure times, would you say these are the sweet spot before both become over exposed, & what iso did you use? My lens will only stop down to 5.6 at this focal length, so am thinking about exposing for a little longer. ?

Regards

Ryan

Archived