Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's a bit too cold.....

Stu

.....for shorts & flip flops.

Must be a little more sensible ;)

Just a quick session again last night, to see what difference the moon being out of the way made to the bino views in the 8x42s.

First up the Hyades. Wonderful view, totally different to the other night without the moon slap bang in the centre of it (obvs ;)). I am enjoying these binos; the 8.2 degree field is reasonably well corrected and I tend just to focus my attention in the middle area of the view anyway, with the edges just putting context on everything. However, being able to fit the whole of the Hyades in was fab. I should give my Chinon Countryman 7x35s another go soon, they have around 10 degrees true (claimed 11). The lovely little double (Theta 1 & 2) which is a naked eye split is even better in the binos.

The Pleiades looked far better with the moon out of the way, better contrast and more of the fainter stars visible. It encouraged me to seek out Kemble's Cascade again and it was lovely. The entire chain fitted easily in the field of view, the three brighter stars leading onto it and the fainter chain of stars, getting down to mag 8.5 possibly fainter. NGC1502 was more clearly visible although it did not separate out as individual stars at this mag.

I repeated my Neptune and Uranus observations, this time landing on them very quickly having worked out the star hops last time and also having more stars visible naked eye.

M36 and 37 were in a Milky part of the sky, lit by the rising moon and were faintly visible with direct vision. M38 was very tough with averted vision, being fainter and more spread out I guess.

Finally, Orion poked his head above the surrounding houses and I had the pleasure of viewing the whole of the belt and sword region in one go. M42 was quite clear considering, better with averted vision, and I also noticed a lovely S shaped swirl of stars running between Mintaka and Alnilam which was not something I had noticed before, I've tried to show it in the SkySafari image, likewise other simulations of roughly what I saw.

Finally, M31 was high overhead and showed its usual fuzzy oval to a decent extent. Nice way to finish off.

Two nights in a row isn't bad, thanks for listening ;)

IMG_4550.PNG

IMG_4549.PNG

IMG_4551.PNG

IMG_4537.PNG

IMG_4545.PNG

IMG_4552.PNG

• 3 months later...

Archived