SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 and M39 from last night

Will Gater

Hello :wave: ,

I managed to image from a dark sky site last night, just before the Moon really started to spoil things :bino2: , so I grabbed two shots of M31 (Andromeda) and M39, a lovely open cluster in Cygnus. The M31 shot is a total of 32 mins at ISO 1600; processed in Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop Elements and GIMP. This is my second stab at M31. I'd like to get about two hours on this without the Moon and away from LP as I seem to have lost a bit of the colour and there's some noise and odd shaped stars still in there. Still, it's nice to be out imaging! :smiley:

All the best,

Will

M31_200908web.jpg

m39_200908web.jpg

Thanks Peter/Dave,

Dave, these were subs of 100s unguided, which I was really chuffed with. I had a good polar alignment and at full resolution you can see that the stars are not perfectly circular in about 1/3 of the subs. If I had kept it to 60s subs there would have been no really noticeable trailing. I shouldn't have gone to ISO 1600 as the more I look at it the more crunchy and noisy it looks :bino2: - hopefully I'll get out and have another go. :smiley:

Archived