SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Ek's based DIY Digital Setting Circles (MRE encoders)

GigiG

Hi all,

It's been a while since I started my DIY DSC project but I finally have time to complete my gDSC. It's based on Dave Ek's DSC software and it uses Bluetooth (HC-06) for communications (PC's skycharts or Android SkySafari Plus) and two 'small and cheap' AMS's AS5040 Magnetic Rotary Encoders. Not extensively tested on field but it seems to be very accurate. I decided to try with the AS5040 that have 1024 tics/rev resolution (10 bit) but the AS5045 may also be used (4096 tics, 12 bit). If someone was interested, here is my gDSC web page. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Gigi

16 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Great project.

Your blog mentions push too but will it also with alignment support goto?

Thanks. It's an encoder/decoder system designed to monitors the telescope (GEM, Dobs, the mount type doesn't matter) axes rotations and give precise information of current position as output and compute the celestial coordinates at which the telescope is pointing so, as far as I know, it was designed basically to be a push-to system. However, I suppose that it can be implemented/integrated in others, more complete goto systems. Take a look at Dave Ek's pages for details.

Archived