SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

On the canvas

spaceboy

And ready to throw in the towel. At least that is standing out in the late night dark getting freezing cold and damp looking at the same dozen night sky objects because 20' high LED St lights have killed the chance of ever getting dark adapted and finding anything other than the brightest of messier items.

I'm well aware of my frustrations come partly from not participating in the hobby over summer and again now due to determined cloud cover or full moons but I'm also aware it has been a long time coming. My skies have become worse over the past 3 years. May be coincidence with LED lights being installed or the fact even Seemingly clear nights have a high murky cloud washing out views but I much prefer sitting out in the warm day sun solar observing than I do trying to separate a distant white smudge from a pale grey sky.

I enjoy star parties and the dark skies they 'sometimes' offer so while I'm going to thin out my kit, (I do have probably more than I need anyway) I do plan to keep a scope that will show me something more than a tiny blob. In doing this I also have something to hand should the UK ever experience a power cut and I can see what my back garden really could offer. Other than this I'm sticking to solar which while cloud can still create much frustration I much prefer chilling out on a warm summers day than I do shivering on a wet stool watching bats fly over head.

I guess the purpose of this post amongst venting my frustrations is to convince myself I can still keep my hand in the hobby.

Another reason is to get peoples advice on what they would whittle their kit down to? I currently have an EQ and AZ mount. I'd like to if I could reduce this to one but EQ have their uses for solar /double stars but the AZ has the convenience of grab and go and fuss free observing albeit nudging constantly. Another is I currently have my much loved ED120 up for sale. This is a reluctant move but I have a 200p which I'm guessing would be the better choice to keep? At least I keep telling myself that! I do have an ST120 to keep my foot in the refractor door. Not in the same league as ED glass but by far my most used scope as its perfect for solar wedge WL solar and grab and go between clouds (which we have a lot of). I had considered just having this as my only scope for night and solar or do you think I'd be best keeping my 200p in case?? Mounting will not be an issue either way.

If you had one affordable scope and mount which would be? Only criteria is it would have to be as at home solar observing as it was night sky which in all fairness doesn't leave much to pick from?

I feel your pain. The only advice I would offer is do not act in haste when it comes to whittling down your gear. Yes, a bad night (or even a run of them) can make one think it is not worth while, but having been stuck with streetlights for years, I have discovered what I can do, rather than missing what I can't. 

hi mate cloud and LP is just part of the game us skywatchers have been facing forever, it do seam bad at times but there allways a silver lining if you look for it. you should take up solar, its the ticket to feeling better, do loads of moon, there both ever changing and allways something different to see, the sun is the most dynamic thing in the sky and we have a first row seat to watch a M class star in action what could be better. cheer up its never as bad as it seams.  charl.

Binoculars are my saviour for at home, my back yard is not actually too bad, but our outdoor pet rabbits take up the best spot for positioning for a southerly aspect and as nice as our immediate neighbours are, they tend to leave their landing light on all night so stray light is an issue, binoculars can provide 5-20 minutes of stimulating observing. Is there anywhere local you could walk to, I occasionally use my local allotment as an Obs. The other way I get round it is to be aspirational planning trips, adventures, this means that I do not get out too often but then sometimes less is more.

Thanks for the comments guys. It is just me whingeing but astronomy is such a frustrating hobby I need to vent off from time to time.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:44, xtreemchaos said:

hi mate cloud and LP is just part of the game us skywatchers have been facing forever, it do seam bad at times but there allways a silver lining if you look for it. you should take up solar, its the ticket to feeling better, do loads of moon, there both ever changing and allways something different to see, the sun is the most dynamic thing in the sky and we have a first row seat to watch a M class star in action what could be better. cheer up its never as bad as it seams.  charl.

I already solar observe mate and TBH I prefer it over the night sky. With the sale of my ED120 hopefully I shall have all the funds I need to get my lunt mod up and running in time for next summer.

UK astronomy is pretty frustrating and not going to get any easier in the future. I am not sure I could or would scale down the equipment, its being able to have a go at so many different aspects of astronomy that makes the bad/missed sessions more bearable.

I guess if I was forced, I would keep my C9.25 and Heq5.

I agree I need to tread careful when thinning my kit. I'm not the biggest fan of Newtonians if I'm honest and this is why I purchased the ED120 but the truth at the end of the day is the 8" 200P is always going to show me more than the 4.75" frak. I'd have liked to keep both but it drives me bonkers having excessive kit gathering dust especially when I have other projects on the back burner waiting on funds. As for choosing between my mounts it will be a far more difficult decision.

Archived