Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

so i got out my celestron sky prodigy mak-cass and took a look at neptune, but i only saw a little point of light. it had a definite bluish tint, but it did NOT look like a planet. is this just normal or is something wrong? i didn't get a picture of it, i was going to try but i forgot. any tips?

Dave In Vermont    4,761

Neptune requires rather high magnification to be revealed as a disk. Without knowing knowing the aperture of your telescope, I can't say how much to try, but try gradually increasing the X. If no disk, or the view gets 'soft' - don't worry about it.

Neptune can be a bear in this way. Try Uranus yet? It's much easier to view it as a disk (planet). They are both in the same neighborhood currently.

Enjoy!

Dave

Demonperformer    704

Which skyprodigy scope is it that you have?

To give you some sort of idea, here is an image I took of Neptune (with Triton) through an 8" scope (it's the dot that moves from top to bottom). Not a lot of disk, even with that.

Neptune.jpg

• Like 1

Pete Presland    7,680

As above Neptune is a very tough target, its makes Uranus look very rewarding. I know somebody with a 445mm aperture Dob, who when images Neptune there is not a huge amount to see. 

What aperture scope and camera are you using? Also I sure you got the planet?

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Which skyprodigy scope is it that you have?

To give you some sort of idea, here is an image I took of Neptune (with Triton) through an 8" scope (it's the dot that moves from top to bottom). Not a lot of disk, even with that.

Neptune.jpg

i have the sky prodigy 90 mak-cass. its got a 5 inch aperture, so given the above images i think a vibrant blue dot is all i can expect.

7 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

As above Neptune is a very tough target, its makes Uranus look very rewarding. I know somebody with a 445mm aperture Dob, who when images Neptune there is not a huge amount to see. 

What aperture scope and camera are you using? Also I sure you got the planet?

I'm certain i got the planet. it was right in the viewfinder, and the GOTO systems are very accurate so far. for camera, i don't have a good one yet. i was going to try holding my iPhone camera up to the eyepiece. I've seen it done, even though it sounds ridiculous. it was freezing cold and i really underdressed, so there wasn't really much time. if it had been a bit warmer i would have taken a shot. also, there was some light pollution. not as much as at my house, but still more than i would like. neptune wasn't directly in the polluted part of the horizon, but it was on he edge. that might have had an affect. I'm going to a dark sky park for the leonids on the 17th, ill see if i can get a shot of neptune then.. even as a little point of light it was awesome to see.

• Like 1

Dave In Vermont    4,761

Yes - 90mm = 3.54" and this scope is F/13.9. It's been discontinued in the US, and replaced by the Celestron NexStar series.

Looks to be a nice, little Mak! But Neptune will likely only present itself as a bright icy-blue 'star.' Do note the colour it shows - I find it to be unique.

Best -

Dave

5a04a4dacbf96_SkyProdigy903.54-InchF13.9Mak-Cass.png.5cd5c0d8c827979de9bdc20a351b3142.png

John    17,549

To give a sense of scale, Neptunes apparent disk is a small as the gap between the pairs of stars in the famous "double double" Epsilon Lyrae. Really tiny !

It's still looks very small even at 400x magnification with my 12" dobsonian.

Edited by John

20 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

What eyepiece did you use ?

ps 90mm = 3.5"

let me check here... it came with a 25mm and a 9mm, and i haven't bought more yet. i tried them both, but of course the 25 had the better image for a celestial object.

20 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Yes - 90mm = 3.54" and this scope is F/13.9. It's been discontinued in the US, and replaced by the Celestron NexStar series.

Looks to be a nice, little Mak! But Neptune will likely only present itself as a bright icy-blue 'star.' Do note the colour it shows - I find it to be unique.

Best -

Dave

5a04a4dacbf96_SkyProdigy903.54-InchF13.9Mak-Cass.png.5cd5c0d8c827979de9bdc20a351b3142.png

an icy blue "star" is exactly what i saw. glad to know its hard to get much better than that w/out doubling my aperture.

John    17,549

With Neptune you seem to need 150x or so to see it as a distinct disk. Try Uranus - it's disk is twice as large as Neptunes is (still small of course !).