SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Incoming: Borg 71FL f/5.6 with FTF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Arrives today... :blob7:

I only live 90 miles from FLO ! It would have been a lot better if I had collected it on you behalf and 'tested' it to make sure it was suitable for you, before sending on to you. :)  

Just now, jabeoo1 said:

I only live 90 miles from FLO ! It would have been a lot better if I had collected it on you behalf and 'tested' it to make sure it was suitable for you, before sending on to you. :)  

NOW you tell me? James, had I only known... :grin:

First off, a HUGE thanks to @James and the rest of the crew at @FLO for their part in this. I was well informed throughout, and all was well taken care of. Can't see how it could have gotten here faster or safer.

When you've saved your pennies into a big pile and are ready to spend, it's great to know that you can do so with confidence.

:thumbright:

Initial thoughts:

• EXCELLENT build quality
  • Wonderfully lightweight
  • Nice tube rings! Can mount finder(s) anywhere
  • Outstanding focuser (no surprise there)
  • Just as easy to mount as the TV-60
  • It *snugly* fits in the TV-60's backpack (but then, without the TV-60...) with the diagonal removed; can of course be further disassembled for even more compact travel - though I may look around for a slightly larger pack / case for it
  • So glad I got the TV-60 before I got this...otherwise, I may not have bothered with the TV-60 :evil6:
  • So far, great for chimney inspection and birding :rolleyes2:
  • Really - the dark, rusty weather vanes on the roofs are very sharp indeed against the bright backdrop of the sky, no rainbow edges or other undesirables
  • Rides VERY smoothly alongside the TV-60 on the Castor II

I really, really, REALLY like it. :icescream:

Will report on first light.

Wow, that looks really nice, makes the TV-60 look like a finder scope now.

As to the question of why do you need two, simple answer   'I don't - I need more than two to cover all the observing I do!'
Then step back as they go into melt down.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Awesome looking setup Mike.

I can, however, anticipate the purchase of a second black vixen clamp in the near future.....:wink:

O yes. Now that I know what I know, the other clamp must be black. And the tripod natural wood. And...well let's get some starlight inside the Borg and all will be well.

:happy11:

15 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Looks mean - in a very good way indeed - congratulations Mike

It does have a certain no-nonsense-ninja vibe, or maybe a studded leather collar look, from certain angles? :headbang:

It certainly satisfies my itch to get an Equinox just for the cool look. :cool:

The advertising pictures look good but don't do this scope justice if you ask me, it looks way better setup in someones garden. Retailers should use your pics instead lol

Congrats, and wishing you a speedy first starlight to go with the chimney light.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 17:24, Stu said:

Awesome looking setup Mike.

I can, however, anticipate the purchase of a second black vixen clamp in the near future.....:wink:

On 11/24/2017 at 17:35, iPeace said:

O yes. Now that I know what I know, the other clamp must be black. And the tripod natural wood. And...well let's get some starlight inside the Borg and all will be well.

:happy11:

*Gasp* Ahhhhhh.... Ooooooooh.... Mmmmmmmmm.... Yes, yes, that's much, MUCH better. Breathing again.

DSC_1200.thumb.JPG.edcfa186b889d89e577f05a060990eca.JPG

DSC_1203.thumb.JPG.4924519e9279b50f4d959854ba5f469f.JPG

:cool:    :p

Very nice Mike ?

When I first looked at the latest picture you have posted I spent a few seconds trying to figure out how you had managed to mount an iPhone in the middle of the red dot finder :lol:

Archived