SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Incoming: Borg 71FL f/5.6 with FTF

Just pulled the trigger on this with our friends at FLO. :headbang:

I've always liked the look of these, and like the idea of a compact, lightweight side-by-side setup with the TV-60, or indeed with the TV-85.

What can I say? I'm a short frac man...(the fracs, not necessarily me).

There's some lead time involved; will post pics and report.

:happy11:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, iPeace said:

Not quite sure what you think it means, exactly, but it's all good... :happy11:

OK Mike - showing ignorance here, but 90mm FL means 90mm focal length as opposed to something in the hundreds, and if so, it's most unusual.  If not, please explain! :happy11:

Doug.

Just now, cloudsweeper said:

OK Mike - showing ignorance here, but 90mm FL means 90mm focal length as opposed to something in the hundreds, and if so, it's most unusual.  If not, please explain! :happy11:

Doug.

I apologize for the confusion - it's meant as 90FL, just like 71FL, so the 'FL' stands for 'fluorite'. It's basically a 90mm objective which can replace the 71mm objective on the tube.

5 minutes ago, John said:

I'm sure it will be a lovely scope :smiley:

I've owned a few nice 70, 80 and 90mm ED refractors but just find that the aperture doesn't "do it" for me until it reaches 100mm :dontknow:

You're too right - it's observing on a different scale, somewhere in there between binoculars (of the non-monster variety) and the 4-inch realm. I don't deny the power of aperture - the 120ED worked very well indeed but wasn't grab-and-go enough for my current arrangements. Smaller high-quality scopes are just so neat and so much fun!

Who knows, if and when my observing becomes less itinerant, I may someday get a cheap 8 inch dob and see what all the fuss is about.

Or not.

Or indeed, finally get the 100mm Tak that everyone loves.

43 minutes ago, iPeace said:

You're too right - it's observing on a different scale, somewhere in there between binoculars (of the non-monster variety) and the 4-inch realm. I don't deny the power of aperture - the 120ED worked very well indeed but wasn't grab-and-go enough for my current arrangements. Smaller high-quality scopes are just so neat and so much fun!

Funny that you should mention that little niche. Earlier, whilst observing (and loving the view) with an ED120, I found myself hankering after a little 70-80 mm gem. Stick in an E21 and you can damn nearly see the back of your own head!

There is a lot to be said for interchangeable objectives. My 100mm Ha scope can revert to its native 40mm "travel mode" with a couple of flicks of the wrist.

Enjoy

Paul

I agree Mike. Even with the Tak there are times when that is too big to take. The difference between larger binos and a scope, in my eyes, is that binos always struggle off axis but with a scope it is possible to get a lovely widefield with sharp stars to the edge. You do have to watch field curvature in the shorter fracs but I do love them. The Tak 60/76 modular system works very well for portability too but not as fast as the Borg. Enjoy!

I could see you enjoying an AP Traveller, if you could ever find one!

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Tak 60/76 modular system works very well for portability too but not as fast as the Borg.

I really like the look of the Tak system and there are plenty of reports on its quality. As reported much earlier elsewhere, I had gone so far as to actually order a modular Tak 76 with FTF - and the objective managed to get itself lost in transit from the importer to my retailer, upon which said retailer sadly had to report that there was no more stock to be had for the time being... clearly an intervention by providence as I took the hint and changed my order to a TV-60 with accessories and a partial refund. Have loved it, still do, always will.

The Tak 76 objective is still in a state of 'ask for delivery time'... :rolleyes2:

Meanwhile, our friends at FLO offer the Borg with FTF at a very attractive price - at least when speaking in Tak terms - and the 71FL f/5.6 seems to have a discerning following. And it's black to match the TV-60. What's not to like?

I've ordered a Berlebach Castor on which to flaunt them side-by-side.

:icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

Who knows, if and when my observing becomes less itinerant, I may someday get a cheap 8 inch dob and see what all the fuss is about.

Or not.

With you on that Mike, except it'll be a 10" - still a manageable size - although there might be a problem accommodating the thing with everything else I've got!

Doug.

13 hours ago, iPeace said:

The modularity is so cool. If I really like it, I can at some point go nuts and add a 90mm FL objective... :happy9:

Got to agree with this. I love my Borg89 and the modularity really helps to pack it "safe" and "small". The many available tube lengths (which just screw together) make using binoviewers easy peasy (reaching focus is no issue)!

They remind me of those custom rifles you see in hitman movies :)

The only surprise with mine was that I still needed a heater tape in the winter to keep the dew at bay.

Alan

Congratulations Mike. Much of the best design comes in small packages and I agree with you on Borgs - they are beautiful little telescopes. And the option of a 90mm objective would turn it into a fabulous travel scope. Need some good eyepieces, but your T6 Naglers will do the job - I find they are great with my little F6.25 Equinox

Nice one Mike :hello2:  I am sure it will deliver above your expectations.  Your research in advance would have make the trigger pull confident.  They look fabulous, I often thought about the 89ED f/6.7 for visual only.  A used FC-100 came up and sealed the deal.

I am really looking forward to your reports.  :happy1:

Archived