Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mosaics

johnfosteruk

I captured all the data last night so the mosaic is complete, but due to poor seeing the images are a little soft. Still, it's nice to have a complete mosaic.

I discovered Mons Penck in this lot, I can't believe I didn't know about it. Definitely added to the observing list. Intriguing little mountain - 

"Mons Penck is a mountain promontory on the near side of the Moon. It lies just to the northeast of the crater Kant, to the north of Ibn-Rushd and the Rupes Altai scarp. Southeast of Mons Penck are the prominent craters Theophilus and Cyrillus.

The selenographic coordinates of this peak are 10.0° S, 21.6° E. It has a diameter of about 30 km at the base and climbs to an altitude of 4 km (13,000 feet). It was named after Albrecht Penck (1858–1945), a German geographer and geologist."

Also some closer images and annotations. Click on the terminator image for full size.

Pipp>AS!2>IMPPG>Photoshop+LTVT

5a02dc93ebc03_Moon07-11-17.thumb.png.eaa14aabbb4458157543c5da8097dce3.png

5a02dc9f718e5_Mooncloseup07-11-17.thumb.png.c711692af9ef190990cb24cab3171f0f.png

5a02dc8eae642_Moon07-11-17annotated.thumb.jpg.969db7c522539c02b03f5153cf986594.jpg

5a02dc8c3c005_Moon07-11-17cu2annotated.thumb.jpg.6a411ae900b54b0f247bad99b6d5e4ee.jpg5a02dc8deafc1_Moon07-11-17cu1annotated.thumb.jpg.1872a32bcfe75ee15fd0d17f5a1cfae6.jpg5a02dc8d2c97b_Moon07-11-17cu3annotated.thumb.jpg.940773470adfd422a39b8eff8d173a6c.jpg

First, LTVT I had to google - was going to ask if you know of anyway to automate/assist annotation - yes! :D

Note you haven't used FM here... I know we back and forthed a bit on the other thread - I was left with the impression that it took close-ups to a point where they started to look false, mare looked suitably flat and the wide-shots, zoomed out, looked good. There were benefits and drawbacks, and while you started to combine the products of different approaches, I was left wondering whether there might be a "region-specific" approach, I guess broadly defined as feature-rich vs featureless. Not saying it's practical.

Interested to hear your current thinking on FM vs others, either here on another thread.

But thanks for LTVT! - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/293378-lunar-terminator-visualisation-tool/.

6 hours ago, furrysocks2 said:

First, LTVT I had to google - was going to ask if you know of anyway to automate/assist annotation - yes! :D

Note you haven't used FM here... I know we back and forthed a bit on the other thread - I was left with the impression that it took close-ups to a point where they started to look false, mare looked suitably flat and the wide-shots, zoomed out, looked good. There were benefits and drawbacks, and while you started to combine the products of different approaches, I was left wondering whether there might be a "region-specific" approach, I guess broadly defined as feature-rich vs featureless. Not saying it's practical.

Interested to hear your current thinking on FM vs others, either here on another thread.

But thanks for LTVT! - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/293378-lunar-terminator-visualisation-tool/.

LTVT is great isn't it. Glad you've been introduced :)

I've been contemplating the regional approach but it's going to be time consuming and I think it'll create more problems than it'll solve. Specifically artefacts. I envisage using masks and where regions intersect could get messy meaning pixel peeping to tidy up. 

When I'm capturing my data through a C11 or similar it'll be worth the effort perhaps, but not currently!

And my current thinking on FM - I'll be definitely using it as the primary means of sharpening noisy images (low volume of subs due to weather/seeing, high ISO to capture at F13 plus barlows, things like that) - it's better (with the upscaling method) at pulling out detail cleanly on those, sometimes.

But when a session goes well, there's a good volume of subs, the seeing is good etc you can't beat IMPPG. It's simple, the relationship between actions and results is clear to see (unlike wavelets, forget wavelets, I don't like wavelets and haven't touched them for months) Did I mention I don't like wavelets.

Also IMPPG does curves as well as deconvolution which is a godsend for me. I can't handle having over sharpened but not knowing until I've stretched it afterwards. 

So in conclusion it's IMPPG all the way with some light duties for FM occasionally.

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

I'm glad about that Gav. Does this mean you'll be observing the moon? :)

Not sure I can go that far quite yet, but I will certainly curse it less. Though it’s easy to think that way as we move towards the New Moon!

Archived