Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Breaking a CGEM in half

TrickySpot

Hi All,

I have a CGEM which took a fall and now has a RA gearbox which is stuck (motors work). Its at the stage of ready for the bin, but I thought I'd give it one more go.....I've taken out the 4 obvious bolts to split the housing in two, but I gather the shaft it rotates on (RA Axis), would also need to come out. One one end is a smallish nut against a bearing, two small holes in the nut on the top, also the sides. Other end has a much [removed word] nut with much bigger holes. I gather that in the factory they have special spanners which fit, like an angle grinder spanner, but I don't have the luxury. I have tried persuading both sides to come lose with a hole punch and hammer, going anti-clockwise...but neither budged. Does anybody know if these nuts perhaps have grub screws securing them from the side and if they perhaps have reversed thread and come lose going clockwise?

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be most welcome!

My Cg5 had similar 2 holes in a large threaded washer around the edge of the washer were three small grub screws with normal right hand threads.I think the hex key was 2mm.Don,t undo it until the grubs are loose or the thread will get damaged.

Brilliant, thanks again Triton1, got it open and freed the gearbox! I did damage the thread though through previous efforts, and the locking nut it pretty messed up too, hoping it will wind back on without too much force, the nut I can clean up with some files (or replace) - it doesn't have to look pretty to do its job. 

On 11/8/2017 at 12:21, TrickySpot said:

much [removed word] nut

removed word?? whats the removed word?? Larger??? I guess you're not aloud to talk about your "large nuts"...

That's a shame about your CGEM being stuck... it does sound like a bearing is just knocked out of place and not rotating.....

On 16/11/2017 at 10:07, MarsG76 said:

removed word?? whats the removed word?? Larger??? I guess you're not aloud to talk about your "large nuts"...

Now that you say back to me what I had written I see why they took it out! Made me laugh actually :-)

For anybody that reads this, for future reference, when you are taking the nut off...because it is so so soft and I cannot see a way to get it out without tapping at an angle on the two holes for the "special spanner"......put masking tape over the bearing below.....I didn't think that far and tiny bits of metal got into the bearing and its taking me ages to get them all out! This mount should have been back together ages ago, but I made extra work for myself by not thinking ahead!

38 minutes ago, TrickySpot said:

Now that you say back to me what I had written I see why they took it out! Made me laugh actually :-)

For anybody that reads this, for future reference, when you are taking the nut off...because it is so so soft and I cannot see a way to get it out without tapping at an angle on the two holes for the "special spanner"......put masking tape over the bearing below.....I didn't think that far and tiny bits of metal got into the bearing and its taking me ages to get them all out! This mount should have been back together ages ago, but I made extra work for myself by not thinking ahead!

Careful... just like large nuts, "soft nuts", or for that matter "tender", "wrinkly", "hairy", "low", "irregular" or similar might be removed words!!!

40 minutes ago, TrickySpot said:

Haha I thought that my last post might be:

Careful... just like *removed word* nuts, "*removed word* nuts", or for that matter "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*" or similar might be removed words!!!

:-D haha

25 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Haha I thought that my last post might be:

Careful... just like *removed word* nuts, "*removed word* nuts", or for that matter "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*", "*removed word*" or similar might be removed words!!!

:-D haha

I wouldn't mind "glow in the dark" so I can free up my hand that's holding the red light! But then you have a spare hand and they *are* glowing.....I think this thread should end here, before I get banned!

12 minutes ago, TrickySpot said:

I wouldn't mind "glow in the dark" so I can free up my hand that's holding the red light! But then you have a spare hand and they *are* glowing.....I think this thread should end here, before I get banned!

Ha ha... yup.... well this escalated quickly... telescope went right into the gutter... ha ha...

Archived