sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Breaking a CGEM in half

Hi All,

I have a CGEM which took a fall and now has a RA gearbox which is stuck (motors work). Its at the stage of ready for the bin, but I thought I'd give it one more go.....I've taken out the 4 obvious bolts to split the housing in two, but I gather the shaft it rotates on (RA Axis), would also need to come out. One one end is a smallish nut against a bearing, two small holes in the nut on the top, also the sides. Other end has a much [removed word] nut with much bigger holes. I gather that in the factory they have special spanners which fit, like an angle grinder spanner, but I don't have the luxury. I have tried persuading both sides to come lose with a hole punch and hammer, going anti-clockwise...but neither budged. Does anybody know if these nuts perhaps have grub screws securing them from the side and if they perhaps have reversed thread and come lose going clockwise?

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be most welcome!

I was wondering the same thing. I was also trying to take my CGEM apart and tried the punch and hammer method with the same result. I have looked online for videos of people taking apart their CGEM's but all I have seen so far is a bunch of unboxing videos, which is always very exciting, and some indoor tests of RA and declination.  

Edited by jeffmar

Its a messy job as the locking nut seems to be made of aluminium or some really soft metal, so without the proper spanner, the force needed to loosen the nut messes it up unfortunately. 

Basically, on the counter weight bar side, take out the 4 obvious hex bolts, then with the counter weight bar off, the nut is visible. There is an access hole to slip an allen key in, I think 1.5mm...loosen both sides and then it should unwind with some WD40 and tapping it off with a hammer. The nut and bearing will then fall off. Back on the puck side, there is one grub screw about half way along the body which needs loosening and then the whole puck, gearbox and housing will just slide out. It was that last grub screw which had me baffled at the end, but it looks out of place and looks like it should be undone!

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2017 at 02:21, TrickySpot said:

Hi All,

I have a CGEM which took a fall and now has a RA gearbox which is stuck (motors work). Its at the stage of ready for the bin, but I thought I'd give it one more go.....I've taken out the 4 obvious bolts to split the housing in two, but I gather the shaft it rotates on (RA Axis), would also need to come out. One one end is a smallish nut against a bearing, two small holes in the nut on the top, also the sides. Other end has a much [removed word] nut with much bigger holes. I gather that in the factory they have special spanners which fit, like an angle grinder spanner, but I don't have the luxury. I have tried persuading both sides to come lose with a hole punch and hammer, going anti-clockwise...but neither budged. Does anybody know if these nuts perhaps have grub screws securing them from the side and if they perhaps have reversed thread and come lose going clockwise?

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be most welcome!

Did you get your CGEM to work/repaired? If not are you interested in selling some parts?  Ernest