SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CASSINI SEPT 21 2008

mike bacanin

At last, a chance to properly view the moon with the tak 225!

here's a sketch i made this morning, using the Zeiss Abbe orthos 10mm and 16mm i just purchased.

powers used x168, and x270

seeing very average no more than 3/5 clear sky, cool temperature.

sorry about photo colour rendition, i've had to simply take a digital photo rather than scan for now.

contrast on this scope is phenomenal, there was too much detail to draw properly, but i tried to get a feel of the view before me.

regards

mike

post-13026-133877346694_thumb.jpg

I admire people who have the patience to do this kind of recording. It's a discipline than can only enhance their observing skills. Sadly, my artistic prowess leaves a lot to be desired. Everything I do, turns out like something LS. Lowry did, minus the high price tag of course. :smiley:

That is a fine sketch.

Ron.

Thanks Matt, it is the first "proper" observation with the tak.

i'd forgotten what the moon looked like! due to poor weather over the previous weeks.

I hope to do more lunar sketches as soon as i can. one problem i have is that the seeing really settles in the early hours when the surrounding houses stop giving off heat. Jupiter for example is low above rooftops and usually "boils" in the turbulent air in evening.

regards

Mike

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your kind comment. Yes it was a pencil sketch using hb, 2b, and 4b pencils.

background shading was achieved by rubbing 4b shading with a finger. intensity of shading was varied by pressure of the pencil.

the sunlit white areas were done by erasing the background with a pointed rubber eraser.

black shadows were done with a pointed permanent black marker pen.

hb and 2b were used to lightly define edges of bright areas.

its a great way to record observations and very nice to look back at them later.

give it a try, a simple line outline sketch is a good way to start.

regards

Mike

I think sketched like this are sometimes overlooked as we're all used to the 'wow' factor and (relative) ease of astrophotography. Sketches seem to be a dying art!

That is a really lovely drawing Mike and has inspired me to have a go (for private consumption only - I'm no artist!)

Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great sketch Mike :thumbright: . Given some of postings in the last few weeks, there seems to be a growing number of us sketchers coming out of the wood work! :hello1:

I think you and Mik have inspired me to stop thinking of our closest neighbour as a source of light polution...I need to give the moon a go!

stef

Hi Stef,

I think while we await the planets being well placed, the moon can be a great target for detailed observation.

sketching does help you to look more closely at the moon.

Also,if you can get a good lunar atlas, that helps alot.

I have a copy of Hatfield's moon atlas for sct's,which has all photos mirror imaged, as would appear in an sct using a star diagonal.

This helps greatly to identify a feature.

I also use a pretty detailed atlas by Rukl, to check out the finer details of a particular crater or feature. The Rukl atlas is unfortunately hard to find and very expensive used, on amazon. I got lucky and got one from USA at a good price, its an ex library copy.

Peter Grego has an ebay shop with some excellent maps for sale.

Regards

Mike

Archived