Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Russell Valentine

October 29th Moon, Lawrence, KS, USA

I took this with a Canon 600D (T3i) through a 90mm refractor in Lawrence, KS, USA. I believe it is 72% illuminated. I recently got the refactor and this was the first time I used it. Thanks.

moon_20171029.thumb.jpg.16f00c4a1b4fe0179ecbd902381f9bca.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a "first light" image, this is very nice!

It shows much detail for a 90mm aperture. And you managed to cover both the terminator and limb regions in one picture without underexposing one side and overexposing the other.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      Hello Astronomers,
      On the 12th August, between 18:34 and 19:21 we had a occultation of Saturn by the moon.
      Of course I couldn't miss out of such a event so I took the day of work and setup my gear so that I could simultaneously capture the event as well as observe it.
      I had the SCT recording with the 618C while observing it in the dob... literally at high power it looked like a Saturn rise... massive lunar horizon filling the field of view with a big Saturn rising from under it, literally animated and visible slowly moving up... Looked amazing in the eyepiece... 
      Photos or videos don't even come close to how good that looks live in the ep.
      I had my eye on the eyepiece in the 14" Skywatcher during the occultation and recorded the start and finish times as soon as I noticed them:

Occultation Start 18:35.51 AEST
      Reappearance Start: 19:19.37 AEST
      Occultation Finish: 19:21.20 AEST

I stuffed up the first part video, the covering of Saturn because I still had iCap set to capturing a maximum of 5000 frames left from my planetary imaging, so at 25fps I barely got a 3.5 minute video that stopped just before the actual occultation started... yes I was kicking my self... but at least I watched it... I wasn't going to do the same mistake on the re appearance on the other side...
      Sharing with you my photos and the video of the event... video is sped up to 400%.
      Clear Skies.
      MG

Saturn Lunar Occultation 12Aug2019.mov
    • By Ruud
      Yesterday the Moon was  low in the sky (in Scorpius), but he seeing was good and allowed magnifications up to  257x.  Gassendi was the most prominent crater on the terminator. Here's a painting of the scene.
      The small Moon image (Stellarium) shows the location of Gassendi.

Thank you for watching.

• By Ruud
      9 August was a good night for the Moon, so I studied the region from Ptolemaeus to Arzachel at 231x. Especially Alpertragius stood out, with its oversized central mound. It has been suggested that this is a volcanic feature. Herschel too was quite prominent.

Thanks for watching.

• By Tomatobro
      Recently I was given a 4 inch skywatcher Newt for which I made a table mount. I thought I would see what you could do imagining wise using this scope and a mono ASI220.
      200 frames at full resolution, stacked in Autostakert, processed in Registax6 and given a final polish in Windows Photo. Conditions far from ideal with thin high cloud.
      I guess the previous owner will ask for it back...…..

• By Ruud
      Good seeing yesterday night. I spent some time on the Moon after it cleared the trees. Maurolycus captured my attention. Here's a painting of the scene:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.