SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finder Bracket Attachment for Large Binoculars

DeepSkyMan

Hi there, I’ve decided that I want to add a finder capability to my 15x85 Binoculars so I’ve been searching the web for a suitable mechanism to mount something to the central shaft of the bins. Difficult to believe that there isn’t something out there already designed for this purpose.    My preference is for using a laser pointer rather than an RDF.  Hoping you guys can provide some inspiration?

Paul.

Can't help with the laser mounting, but can tell you that I have a Rigel QuikFinder on my big bino. It comes with a pair of bases and some double-sided sticky pads to mate them to the bino. The pads stick like chewing-gum to a shag-pile - been on for over a decade.

HTH

16 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

Can't help with the laser mounting, but can tell you that I have a Rigel QuikFinder on my big bino. It comes with a pair of bases and some double-sided sticky pads to mate them to the bino. The pads stick like chewing-gum to a shag-pile - been on for over a decade.

HTH

Thanks for you feedback Steve, I found this in the web yesterday evening and for £15 thought it was worth the money to see if it would do the trick:

image.png.db84b3b7ac3fee3afecb4d8a870e4beb.png

Just waiting on delivery now set for 20 Nov, cutting it close for our next Dark Skies expedition into the highlands which is the weekend of the 24th :-)

Paul.

32 minutes ago, DeepSkyMan said:

I found this in the web yesterday evening and for £15 thought it was worth the money to see if it would do the trick:

If it's a red laser (as in the diagram), it won't be much good. You need green (or shorter wavelength) to get sufficient backscatter to enable you to see the beam (normal caveats on use of lasers, etc.). Also, it looks like it fits either to a telescopic sight (RH mount) or to a weaver rail (LH mount) - you still have to find a way of mating it to your bino. The sight mount might fit to your central bar with a bit of padding/shimming, alternatively you could mount a weaver rail on one of the bino barrels with some double-sided.

Lol... Ordered the green one as well.  As to lasers resistant to cold, I have a Wicked Lasers Nano, with a fully charged battery the Nano sees out a full night observing session in sub-zero temperatures.  They are a touch on the expensive side, but then as is often said, you do get for you pay for?

AB34020A-B577-40D3-B560-F84E4DA899D8.jpeg

Hmmm... A modification is required to my earlier statement about performace of the Evo Nano in sub-zero temperatures.  Seems like its not as immune as my first perceptions led me to believe.  Used in -6 Celsius conditions recently, and it gave out after about 30 mins of use.  The issue in o way connected to battery power, as removing it indoors soon restored functionality, just proving the  sensitivity of the laser diode to sustained low temperatures :-/

Paul.

Archived