Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with my Goto scope

I own a skywatcher explorer 200p

Eq5 goto

Absolutely adore this scope but I have real trouble getting the goto to work properly, this has been going on for some time and I've taken to just using the handset to move the scope with the direction buttons.

It took me a very long time to figure out 

I went over the usual pitfalls and finally came to what I think is the problem

I downloaded the app that gives you all your information.

Location, time ect and noticed that the HA and clock differs between the app and my hand set

It's 20:44

Location is

003 05 W 53 20 N

Timezone is 0:00

Daylight saving 

No

HA 21:04

Clock 07:27

But my app says it should be 

HA 20:44

Clock 07:37

Any ideas? I'm thinking I might need to upgrade the software, it's gotten to the point where I'm looking at getting a eq5 mount without goto, I've obviously already spent a few quid on this telescope but I am completely frustrated with my experience with it

That would be a shame.  its strange to be a 'bit' out, although I normally ignore the synscan and concentrate on the app! (i use polarscope align pro on ios)

Can you give some more info:  (sorry if it's too basic, but i think whoever answers will want to know more to be sure..)

what's the problem?  Goto Accuracy?

Which version of the synscan do you have?

what app are you using?

which form of polarscope is it: new or old?

How good/familiar are you with the setup, eg polar alignment, leveling etc

which alignment routine are you using, 1, 2 or 3 star etc and what eyepiece etc?

Mike

I'll try to answer as best I can

I have to admit I am a complete novice at using a goto mount

I'll live on the Wirral in the north west of UK very close to Liverpool

My problem is when I make a 2 star alignment my scope ends up way off the star I've decided to align to. And even after I slew all the way to the star I want and complete the alignment when I choose something to look at the scope doesn't come close

I do have a bit of a problem with polar alignment as I have large trees in my back garden and sadly my garden faces north. I try my best to have it set up as best I can

The app is called synscanlnit 1.9

Synscan version 03.27

I'm guessing the fact I can't truly polar align is going to be a major problem

As far as balancing and leveling I think I've got it pretty spot on

OK, well PA without polaris is a bit of an issue on an eq mount, no chance to cut a selective few branches off? 

An ALT/AZ mount would at least work out the goto better, you just need the alignment stars, but take a look at the following, this might help if the handset is old firmware, there would be an error

the website is: http://www.myastroscience.com/polaralignment

image.thumb.png.9f58961583f702894871d6e574d8dec5.png

I don't think I've got a ladder tall enough lol I have had a play round with my hand set and have found that if I set the time about 20 mins earlier then it actually is the HA on the handset and app to match but I tested it during the summer and still the same problems. I actually gave up on astronomy for a long time, until recently when I got myself a cheap 3 inch reflector and have found my passion again. I've read over the guide you sent and as ashamed as I am to admit I think it seems a bit to complicated for me to fix on my own. I'm not going to give up on it, buying a house next year with my girlfriend lack of trees will be a major decider on what we buy haha, I think in the mean time I'll either get a eq5 without goto or maybe the skywatcher explorer 150p.

Just like to thank you guys for your advice

I have the same mount and when I set up my HA and clock are never the same although only out by about 3/4 on each. I have been told that polar alignment for visual only needs only to be there about. I had a similar problem but it was the altitude bolt was slipping.

I wouldn't know where to start of that is my problem, I've priced up a eq5 mount at about £250, not horrific especially as I get to start using this amazing telescope again. I'm going to sign up to my local astronomical society so maybe someone in my local area can look at it

hi hefty 

I got my fist scope last year and it had a go-to, I ran into problems with the two star alignment, I don't know if you mad the same mistakes as me but at the risk of looking stupid here they are 

my scope wasn't level

at had the day and month in the wrong order in the setup

I was not correctly identifying the stars when using the two star alignment.

give them a second look, and yes I did make there errors.. hope it helps 

ger

I had the same mistakes when I first got my 200p as I figured each one out I thought I got closer to getting it working, I have actually used it once correctly, found everything I asked it to find, probably one of my best nights but sadly I've been unable to recreate what ever I did to get it working 

1 hour ago, Hefty_Texas said:

I had the same mistakes when I first got my 200p as I figured each one out I thought I got closer to getting it working, I have actually used it once correctly, found everything I asked it to find, probably one of my best nights but sadly I've been unable to recreate what ever I did to get it working 

well good luck with solving the problem, hope you get there some

My SynScanInit 2 app gives two clock times - one I assume is GMT the other I always assume is a possibly American time zone?  Anyhow, whatever it is my Goto unit requires that I enter both times as part of the calibration.  The other thing to remember is that the date is in American date format.  I have also made typo errors even when entering the location details when I have forgotten to put in zero degrees before the minutes.  So there are lots to of things to check for.

I found a new addition to my polar align pro app on the iphone:  daytime PA - but in your case it would also allow you to set it without seeing polaris.  On the iphone, you also have the option to set 'true north' vs 'magnetic north'  .  Anyway, this page gives some additional ways to PA

hth

Mike

http://astro.ecuadors.net/daytime-polar-alignment-for-the-2017-solar-eclipse-of-course/#more-1540

Id enter the time and date as it is..and make sure the day/month is in the right format.. synscaninit  will give you it in the right format and tell you if you're daylight saving or not..For the star alignment,the 2 or 4 stars aren't going to be spot on as you are telling the mount where it is....once done they should be in the middle of the ep or screen..if not then you wasn't accurate enough..

Getting on to the polar alignment.. if you can't see Polaris then the only other option is to drift align..if you're imaging there's no point in doing it there or thereabouts..it needs to be as good as you can get it..for visual you can get away with it..

Archived